"Fear of a Krabby Patty" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season four. In this episode, the Krusty Krab opens up for 24 hours as part of Plankton's plan to get the Krabby Patty secret formula from an exhausted SpongeBob.
- Medley Fishbowl (cameo)
- Martha Smith
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Dr. Peter Lankton (debut)
- Karen Plankton
- Henry-Bart (cameo)
- Nat Peterson (cameo)
- Sheila (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins (cameo)
- Dream Jellyfish
- SpongeBob's Dream Scallop
- Gary (written on bowl in SpongeBob's dream room)
- Krabby Patty (debut)
Mr. Krabs is painting a sign that says "New Business Hours: 6 AM to 11 PM." He then shows it to SpongeBob and Squidward. Squidward criticizes that this new policy is unfair, while SpongeBob suggests some earlier times that they can go to work at. As he is hanging the sign on the window, Mr. Krabs finds out that Plankton reopened the Chum Bucket for 23 hours a day. Afterwards, he announces that the Krusty Krab will be open for 24 hours a day to be better than the Chum Bucket, much to the dismay of Squidward and the excitement of SpongeBob. This is Plankton's plan to force SpongeBob to crack and tell him the Krabby Patty secret formula. However, after several days of nonstop service, SpongeBob is still going strong and awake. As a result, Plankton calls the restaurant, placing an order for 10,000 Krabby Patties under the disguise of Peter Lankton. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to make the patties and never stop to take a break, which the latter naturally takes on with as much enthusiasm.After 43 days of nonstop service, SpongeBob finally cracks, and cannot finish the order because everywhere he looks, he sees killer Krabby Patties. Plankton then throws a flyer at SpongeBob's head, saying "Dr. Peter Lankton, Psychiatrist, specializing in Krabby Patty phobias."
SpongeBob goes to the Chum Bucket, which is disguised as Dr. Lankton's office, and meets Dr. Peter Lankton (who is really Plankton in new clothes and a fake mustache and beard). Plankton tries several methods to get the formula out of SpongeBob, all of which end with him getting crushed by a piano by Spongebob.
Finally, Plankton tries hypnosis to get SpongeBob to tell him the formula and he succeeds in making him fall into a deep sleep. Unfortunately for Plankton, he cannot get SpongeBob to wake up and tell him the formula, even after trying several loud and annoying sounds in an attempt to do so.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob dreams that he is jellyfishing when a giant Krabby Patty appears, catches him with a Jellyfish net and eats him up. He then finds himself in his bed, and a giant Krabby Patty enters the bedroom. The patty turns out to be friendly and gives SpongeBob a cookie pizza and chocolate milk, thus curing his fear. SpongeBob wakes up and says he's cured, and goes back to the Krusty Krab as Plankton begs him to return and reveal the formula to him, insisting that hypnosis and therapy do not work, and that he is still very sick.
When SpongeBob gets back to work, he tells Mr. Krabs that he's okay, and that all he needed was a little sleep. Krabs says that there will be no more 24 hour shifts, "...because 23 hours will be plenty!" They laugh a little but Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get back to work at the end of the episode.
On the storyboard featured on the Fear of a Krabby Patty DVD, they show Plankton waiting for SpongeBob instead of him having to get him up immediately after sitting down. There was another one when a bunch of Krabby Patties from a cave bring SpongeBob to his bed after he gets eaten by a Krabby Patty in his dream. Yet again, SpongeBob says another "K-R-A-B-B-Y-P-A-T-T-Y says I" during the day/night montage. Also, SpongeBob talks to Krabby Patties more in the storyboard animation. Squidward having bags in his eyes was originally going to be the end theme.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ March of the Aliens - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [title card]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [opening]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["The Chum Bucket open 23 hours?!"]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob pinching himself]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["Open 24 hours, eh?"]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["I don't care if we stay open till the day after the end of time."]
‣ Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Mr. Krabs, can I go home yet?"]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob kisses the Krabby Patty.]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede ["Drat! He's not collapsing from exhaustion."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Krabs crushes Plankton]
‣ ? - "Kick it into high gear! We got a big order!"
‣ Idyll in the Clouds - Ludo Philipp ["Now, make me 10,000 patties!"]
‣ Worker's Symphony - Hans May [images floating by]
‣ Twilight Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob hallucinates Krabs as a giant Krabby Patty]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob screams.]
‣ Twilight Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Stay back! I'm warning you!"]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob sees giant patties everywhere/SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he sees "Killer Krabby Patties" everywhere.]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob screaming]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor F. Narholz ["What does this mean?"]
‣ ? - Krabs thinks SpongeBob should see a psychiatrist
‣ Fear 1 - Louis Clark ["Dr. Peter Lankton, Psychiatrist."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Well, this looks like the place."]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham [Chum Bucket disguised as psychiatrist's office]
‣ Games Played in the Dark - Richard A. Harvey [Plankton with a beard]
‣ ? - rimshot
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#29] - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob closes his eyes]
‣ The Killing Ground (a) - Richard A. Harvey ["They're coming for me!"]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [word association]
‣ Mists of Illusion - Gilbert Vinter [Plankton hypnotizes SpongeBob]
‣ ? - cell phone rings
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob dreams about jellyfishing]
‣ March of the Aliens - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob eaten by giant Krabby Patty]
‣ Camilla - Nino Nardini [the patty gives him gifts]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [ending]
- This episode is available on the Fear of a Krabby Patty, Season 4 Volume 1, Nick Picks Volume 3, Nick Picks Box-Set (Vol, 1-3), Complete Fourth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- "Fear of a Krabby Patty" was ranked #11 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- As of July 25, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.2/10 based on 282 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7.8/10 based on 234 votes.
- The Krusty Krab was opened 24 hours a day, for 43 days, with no breaks.
- This means that SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs stayed awake for an astounding 1,032 hours, which is logically impossible.
- This is the second time the Krusty Krab is open 24/7, the first was "Graveyard Shift."
- This episodes marks the beginning of the "Tibbitt Era" of SpongeBob SquarePants, which is every episode from season 4 onward after the release of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, ending with the season 9 episode "Lost in Bikini Bottom."
- This is C.H. Greenblatt's final episode on the show as a writer and storyboard director.
- This was Alan Smart's first episode since season 1's "Jellyfishing," as an animation director.
- Once again, Mr. Krabs breaks the law just for more money: having one's employees work nonstop for 24 hour services without a 24 hour staff. Normally, in a restaurant open 24/7, there are different employees that work different times in the day (some at day, some at night). It is actually illegal to work your employees this long.
- In 2005, this episode and "Shell of a Man" were nominated for a Creative Arts Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program, but lost to the Comedy Central animated series South Park.
- This is the first episode to use the 3D computer coloring rather than digital ink and paint or traditional cel animation. This is pretty obvious, as the colors are duller and the characters' facial expressions are different.
- Mr. Krabs previously made the Krusty Krab open 24 hours in one day in "Graveyard Shift." However, unlike in the aforementioned episode, Krabs stays at the restaurant with his employees and thus suffers from the same lack of sleep that they do.
- This is the first episode to be PAL Pitched in some countries.
- From June 2009 to April 2010 (the mistake corrected), Charter Communications & Time Warner Cable mistakenly labeled this and "Shell of a Man" as the shopping show "SpongeBob Fun."
- In "Help Wanted," "Employee of the Month," and "The Clash of Triton," SpongeBob makes possibly millions of Krabby Patties in seconds with no mental strain, but in this episode, SpongeBob goes insane from making 8,659 Krabby Patties over a period of possibly 33 days (days 10-43). However, he may do this because he had no breaks over the time period.
- In this episode, SpongeBob is able to lift an entire grand piano by himself (and smash it onto Plankton). In other episodes like "MuscleBob BuffPants," he is barely strong enough to lift a weight of stuffed animals.
- Running Gag: Plankton constantly getting hit with a piano including the one which SpongeBob turned the cards into another piano.
- Old Man Jenkins breaks the fourth wall by asking why is he moving.
- Plankton's eye seems to be much smaller in this episode, due to his beard.
- Plankton is revealed to have a cell phone.
- When Mr. Krabs forgets how many days it has been he looks tired and wrecked, but after he sees SpongeBob make some really bad patties he seems refreshed.
- The drive-thru that was installed in "Driven to Tears" is seen when Mr. Krabs announces Day 10 of non-stop service.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Kraboburgerofobia" (Krabby Patty Phobia).
- This is the 25th episode appearance of Dennis and Sadie.
- This was the first episode to air after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- The French title of this episode is "Ouverture Non-stop!," or "Opening Non-stop!"
- It is unknown how Gary would manage to survive without SpongeBob being home to feed him for such a long period of time, though as he has been shown as being quite intelligent in many episodes, he may have been able to feed and take care of himself.
- This episode was paired with "Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm" during the Massive Monster Mayhem Marathon.
- The sizing of the words on this episode's and its sister episode's title cars are similar.
- In SpongeBob's dream, the Krabby Patty tells him that he'll always be with him (in his arteries), a reference to the 1982 Universal's big movie E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, complete with the glowing finger.
- The episode's title card is similar to the start of the Heisei Godzilla movies.
- When Plankton and SpongeBob say 2 different ways to say the words "Potato" and "Tomato", it's a reference to the song, Let's Call the Whole Thing Off from the 1937 film, Shall We Dance.
- In the Greek dub, at the beginning, Mr. Krabs says "The Chum Bucket will open for 24 hours" instead of saying "The Krusty Krab will open for 24 hours." It possibly was a mistake from the Greek voice actor.
- In this episode, Mr. Krabs' eye stalks are slightly shorter than normal.
- Plankton could've just used the 10,000 Krabby Patties to figure out the formula.
- In the scene where SpongeBob is dropping trays at the window, the anchor on Squidward's work hat disappears.
- Mr. Krabs is appalled at the Chum Bucket being open 23 hours, despite the fact nobody eats there.
- When the largest Krabby Patty gives SpongeBob SquarePants food in his dream, the chocolate milk is orange (like orange juice) and the cookie pizza just looks like a big cookie and has no looks to a pizza.
- Near the beginning of the episode, there is a solid wall behind the cashier's boat that SpongeBob bursts through; yet that section of wall is typically shown to have a window. It's just because Squidward zipped the window.
- When SpongeBob gets up from his trauma, his tie is missing and it reappears seconds later.
- After SpongeBob's eyelids are ripped off, they reappear in the next shot looking fine.
- Mr. Krabs penciled over his painted sign. This is impossible.
- When Mr. Krabs smashes Plankton after mistaking him for a spider, in the next shot, the second U in the Chum Bucket sign looks like it is a J.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Primetime Emmy Awards
Daytime Emmy Awards
British Academy Children's Awards
Annecy International Animated Film Festival
ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards
BMI Film & TV Awards