"F.U.N." is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob befriends Plankton because he thinks he is lonely.
Things are going great at the Krusty Krab, until suddenly an alarm begins to blare, signaling an attempt by Plankton to steal a Krabby Patty. Plankton, controlling the patty, escapes outside with it by making a hole in the door with a laser.
SpongeBob heroically chases after it. After a long chase, SpongeBob finally recovers the Krabby Patty and is congratulated by the townsfolk, while Plankton walks away sadly. SpongeBob, feeling sorry for Plankton, decides to befriend him.
SpongeBob invites Plankton to go jellyfishing with him, and, realizing he can take advantage of SpongeBob, Plankton goes. At Jellyfish Fields, Plankton remains fixated on evil and destruction, and SpongeBob tries to explain fun to him by singing "The F.U.N. song." Eventually, Plankton starts singing the song as well, first, he sings the an evil version but eventually, he sings SpongeBob's version and seems to finally be having fun. He seems to forget about stealing the formula, and begins to develop a genuine sense of friendship.
When Mr. Krabs sees this, he refuses to believe that Plankton has changed and sets up a trap for them when they come to the Krusty Krab together the next day. He attempts to tempt Plankton with a Krabby Patty, but he seems not to take the bait. After SpongeBob and Plankton leave to go to the movies, Mr. Krabs begins to suspect that Plankton really has gone straight and nice, until he realizes that he actually did take the patty.
At the Reef Cinema
, Mr. Krabs appears in front of the projector and demands everyone in the theater to reach into their friend or partner's
pocket to see what they have got. SpongeBob reaches into Plankton's pocket and finds a Krabby Patty (the other people simply steal from their neighbor's pocket and leave the theater). SpongeBob realizes that Plankton used him to get a Krabby Patty, and Plankton attempts to explain that he realizes now that he only ever wanted friendship, before admitting to everything and running off with the patty through the movie screen.
Spongebob believes Plankton won but Mr. Krabs tells him he didn't. He shows Spongebob behind the screen revealing Plankton to be badly squashed on a damaged concrete wall with the Patty. Spongebob apologizes to Mr. Krabs and they decide to go back to the Krusty Krab and have a fresh Krabby Patty and Mr. Krabs flicks Plankton off the wall and onto Bubble Bass's hand where he mistakes Plankton for a jelly bean. Bubble Bass chases Plankton around his hand with him screaming as the episode ends.
"You know how to induce thermonuclear fusion?"
"Our special today is chum..."
"'N' is for anywhere and anytime at all..."
◦ The F.U.N. Song
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sherm Cohen, Brad Carow [Title card]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [The opening]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [The alarms go off.]
‣ Heroes Win 60 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob chases Plankton.]
‣ Chase That Car - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob inflates his Krusty Krab hat.]
‣ Vibe Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Wow, a magic shop!"]
‣ In the Cradle (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob tells story about a magician.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["Plankton, it's you!"]
‣ Kamakani (b) - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob tries to cheer Plankton up.]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I bet if he had just one friend..."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Later]
‣ Queen's Aloha Oe (c) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob visits Plankton.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["That naive cube!"]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap [SpongeBob and Plankton go jellyfishing.]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Plankton's daydream]
◦ The F.U.N. Song - Sherm Cohen, Brad Carow [SpongeBob and Plankton sing this song.]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [That night]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [At the Krusty Krab the next day]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [photo of SpongeBob and Plankton are together.]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["What's this all about, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ Facing the Challenge - Gregor F. Narholz ["Hang on there, laddie, I'm a-coming!"]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [SpongeBob and Plankton are at the movies.]
‣ Curse of Evil 1 [#44] - Gregor F. Narholz ["He's decievin' ya! Reach into his pocket now and take what he's got!"]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob finds a Krabby Patty in Plankton's pocket.]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#63] - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton cries.]
‣ Glamorous Affair (a) - John Fox, Otto Sieben ["Oh, darling, I knew nothing would ever tear us apart."]
‣ Oyster Girls - Robert Alexander White [The ending]
- As of May 3, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 378 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 226 votes.
- In fan-voted SpongeBob SquarePants marathons, "F.U.N." was ranked #14 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006 and #2 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- In real life, the speakers in movie theaters are behind the screens.
- This is the first episode to have a designable text in the title card words and have a solid black background.
- "F.U.N." is the only episode title so far to be in acronym form.
- The scene where Bubble Bass sits on Plankton has became popular for YouTube Poop videos.
- This is one of the seven episodes in which the 1986 Paramount logo is plastered with the 2002 Paramount logo. The others are "Help Wanted," "Squeaky Boots," "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," "Employee of the Month," "Karate Choppers," and "Rock Bottom."
- The Chum Bucket is across town in this episode.
- In most episodes, it is across the street from the Krusty Krab.
- If one were to listen carefully, the boot squeak sound effect from "Squeaky Boots" can be heard when the policeman puts the "Honorary Rookie" donut on SpongeBob.
- This episode premiered on Dan Povenmire's 36th birthday.
- This episode is tied with "Ugh" for the shortest title, with three letters each.
- However, in terms of characters, "Ugh" is shorter than this episode, as this episode has six characters in the title compared to three.
- This is the second episode to have the German dub version of the episode with the exact same name as the English version. The first episode to do this is "Plankton!"
- The voice Mr. Lawrence used for the cowboy fish is the same voice he used for Gib Hootsen in Rocko's Modern Life.
- The adventure music heard when SpongeBob chases after the patty is a parody of the Indiana Jones theme music.
- The Chum Bucket's special of the day is Chumbalaya, a pun on Jambalaya.
- When Plankton is talking to Karen, and he asks "What are you talking about?," the captions read "What do you mean?"
- Closed-captions misspell two characters:
- "Bubble Bass" as "Bubble Bath"
- "SpongeBob" as "Sponge Bath," as seen when Karen tells Plankton to befriend SpongeBob so he can steal the Krabby Patty.
- When Karen says to Plankton, "What did you do with the Krabby Patty?," the captions read "Where's the Krabby Patty?"
- When she also says to him, "You're forgetting the mission," captions read "Remember the mission?"
- When SpongeBob falls back down from the sky, the Bikini Bottomites are holding the word "rookie" while singing "For He's a Jolly Good Rookie."
- The captions read "(cheering)."
- When SpongeBob is thrown in the air, the sky is green.
- When he lands seconds later, the sky is blue.
- When the movie theater is first shown, there are eighteen people sitting inside, but in later scenes, there are less.
- When SpongeBob is looking for the Krabby Patty with binoculars, the fishfolk are walking slowly in lines, but when he spots the patty, they begin walking faster.
- When Plankton is leaning against the door of the Chum Bucket, he appears to be as big as the door.
- When SpongeBob chases the patty off a building, he uses his blown-up Krusty Krab employee hat to bounce about town. However, when he catches the patty at the Magic Shop, his hat is back on his head and deflates.
- When SpongeBob and Plankton are at Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob gives Plankton a jellyfish net, but in the next scene, Plankton is not seen with the net and it is not seen on the floor.
- Plankton hits the wall on the very bottom, but is several inches above the ground when Mr. Krabs reveals the wall.
- Mr. Krabs shows SpongeBob a wrinkled Krabby Patty, but in the next scene, it is normal.
- Bubble Bass eats jelly beans with no green one, but in the next scene, a green one appears.
- When SpongeBob sings "N is for anywhere, anytime at all," the word "anywhere" does not match up to the letter N, although the word starts with the "N" sound.
- While Plankton says he took the Krabby Patty, his bottom and legs keep disappearing and reappearing.