"Extreme Spots" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick attempt to join the Drastic Radicals, an extreme sports team.
The episode shows SpongeBob and Patrick at Sand Mountain
where they see Johnny Krill, Not Dead Ted, and Grand Maul Granny, the Drasticals, doing Extreme Sports. A British fancy fish tells them about them, and because he spoke in lisp, they've mistaken for "Extreme Spots." Patrick gets jellyfish on him and gets covered in jellyfish sting spots (SpongeBob is already covered in spots.) They stand in front of the team, wanting to join them because of spots.
Johnny corrects them for "sports" not "spots" and lets them try to be Drasticals. He shows SpongeBob a motorbike. SpongeBob tries to climb on but the motor bike starts and it rips his arms off. His arms drive away on the motorbike whilst SpongeBob tries to catch up. SpongeBob is about to give up when the motorbike comes back at him. The motorbike hits SpongeBob onto the handle bars. The motorbike drives through three sand dunes which SpongeBob eats most of. The motorbike stops in front of Johnny Krill. All of the sand starts coming out of SpongeBob. On the hill above them, Patrick gets pushed by Granny down the hill on a clamboard. Patrick swallows the board and hits lots of rocks. Once at the bottom, SpongeBob and Patrick walk over to Johnny Krill and his team. Johnny decides that his sports are too extreme for SpongeBob and Patrick. So SpongeBob tells Johnny they can jump rope while Patrick is playing double Dutch. Patrick sings a song then he falls out when he finds out it was exercise and SpongeBob says extreme. Johnny Krill shows them extreme as Ted jumps fast, hits a plane, falls down and blows up burned. Johnny says that sports has to be explosive. So, SpongeBob blows a bubble and he and Patrick mimic the booms, but they're not impressed. Johnny says it has to be big and he shows it by riding his motorcycle through a huge bubble wand and ride in a bubble through town and landing on a heavy industry. SpongeBob asks if fighting is extreme and Johnny says fighting is "totally extreme."
SpongeBob boxes a pillow, but didn't do so well. Unimpressed, Johnny shows them, by hitting the pillow hard, and taking it to the cleaners (through the washing machine. SpongeBob warns it's dry-clean only.) He beats the pillow and the mattress beats up Johnny. Johnny asks if they do any more sports and SpongeBob says Patrick is an expert at Dumpster diving. Patrick climbs on top of the Dumpster and fall face flat on the garbage. Johnny says it's not extreme but when Patrick brushes his teeth with a rotten toothbrush, he says that may be extreme. And they show them, with Granny landing on the garbage at a high height, gets in a garbage truck, gets crunched up into a garbage cube, and emerges unharmed. (Patrick comments, "That is one tough elderly person.") Johnny asks if they do any other sports and SpongeBob says there is one sport if they're up to it: Jellyfishing. And while they are doing it, The Drasticals catch jellyfish while doing extreme. Later, the team got injured and are covered in jellyfish stings, saying that the spots are way extreme. The fancy fish says the extreme spots are the direct product of Extreme Sports. Patrick asks, "Who is that guy?"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [opening]
‣ Unknown Track 69 - Drasticals introduced
‣ Little England - Paddy Kingsland [Fancy fish appears]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ooh, hold on a sec."]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick puts a jellyfish hive over his head]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["No problemo."]
‣ Hangin' Ten - Rod Abernethy [motorcycle speeds off]
‣ Fight for Your Life! - Gregor F. Narholz ["Your turn, fat boy!"]
‣ Unknown Track 69 - Granny pushes Patrick off the mountain
‣ Steel Sting (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Our sports are too extreme for you dudes."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob thinks]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Jump rope, eh?"]
‣ ? ["On your mark, get set... jump rope!"]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [Patrick jump rope]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick sweats]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick passes out]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King ["Grab it Granny!"]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob blows a bubble]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["No."]
‣ Unknown Track 27 - Fabian Fernandez [Johnny rides motorcycle through giant bubble wand.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Is fighting extreme?"]
‣ Jubilee Sports - Dennis Berry, Stuart Crombie [SpongeBob fights pillow]
‣ Unknown Track 69 - Johnny fights pillow and beat up by mattress
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Dumpster diving!"]
‣ Team Trophy - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Patrick dives into a dumpster]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick coughs]
‣ Unknown Track 27 - Fabian Fernandez ["Drasticals will show you how it's done."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, there is a very extremely extreme sport we play if you're up to it."]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [pan over Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Unknown Track 69 - extreme jellyfishing
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Dudes, now we get it!"]
‣ Little England - Paddy Kingsland [Fancy Fish reappears]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [ending]
- As of September 26, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 133 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.1/10 based on 58 votes.
- "Extreme Spots" received positive reviews from critics. Paul Mavis of DVD Talk enjoyed the episode and said "'Extreme Spots' gets big laughs from some very funny bits." He added that the "stereotypical Britisher fish, complete with monocle and bad teeth, is a scream." In his review for the Inside Pulse, Joe Corey said that the episode is "equally dangerous" with the remaining episodes of the Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay DVD.
- Before "Sportz?" and any other episode where SpongeBob and Patrick are seen playing, mentioning, or referencing sports.
- After "Help Wanted" and possibly "Boating School"
- The title card is similar to that of "The Hot Shot."
- When Patrick claims he wears SpongeBob's clothes when SpongeBob sleeps, he may be referring to the Season one episode "Boating School" when he was wearing SpongeBob's pants when he was trying to sleep.
- Patrick mentions the title of the episode after getting stung by jellyfish.
- Charlie is seen cross-dressed in the beginning of the episode, despite being male.
- Running gag: SpongeBob and Patrick doing regular stuff, then the Drasticals making it extreme.
- A brief clip of this episode was shown in the SpongeBob Vs. The Goo promo.
- This is part of The Super Spongy Square Games with "Squirrel Record," "Face Freeze!" and "Demolition Doofus."
- This episodes marks the show's transition to 1080i HD.
- When the episodes air on SD, the HD episodes are letterboxed. Also, the theme song was not in HD, and still had the original animation. However, on August 5, 2015, Vincent Waller confirmed on Twitter that a 16:9 HDTV/widescreen version of the theme song was in the works, and the HD intro wasn't shown until July 9, 2016.
- This episode, along with "Squirrel Record," are Season 9 episodes, yet they premiered before the last six episodes of Season 8.
- This is the first non-special episode to be in widescreen format and the third episode ever produced in widescreen, behind "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" and "Truth or Square."
- This is the second episode where a sand version of the Krusty Krab is seen, the first being "To Save a Squirrel."
- This is the second time Patrick jumps into a dumpster. The first was in "Missing Identity."
- This episode premiered on Robin Williams's 61st birthday, three years after the "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants DVD" was released, and one year after "The Googly Artiste" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada nine years after "Squeaky Boots" premiered in Japan and four years after SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis was released on GBA and Wii and "Atlantis SquarePantis" premiered, and one year after "Sandy's Vacation in Ruins" premiered.
- This episode takes place after "Sportz?," as SpongeBob and Patrick are familiar with sports here.
- This is the 1st episode to air in Season 9
- The name of the episode obviously comes from "extreme sports."
- The scene where Johnny rides in the bubble is similar to Sonic the Hedgehog's spin dash.
- When hang gliding, Not Dead Ted slightly resembles Gliscor from Pokémon.
- The British fish is a reference to the fact that the 2012 Olympics were held in Britain.
- As well as that, this episode premiered in 2012.
- When Patrick breaks the jellyfish nest, he was covered in red spots; but in scenes after the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick meet the Drasticals, Patrick's spots aren't there.
- When this and/or "Squirrel Record" air in the UK, the SpongeBob SquarePants logo nor the opening credits have any text, plus it uses the French intro with the English intro's audio.
- On the May 30th, 2016 airing, this and its paired episode were not in HD on Comcast.
- When SpongeBob is on the motorcycle, his arms are disconnected from his body. But when he slows down after going through the sand dunes, his arms are connected to his body again.