- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Dream SpongeBob
- Daydream SpongeBob
- Dream SpongeBob
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pirates (debut)
- Blue Pirate (debut)
- Daydream Martin
- Daydream Tom
- Daydream Tina Fran
- Daydream Harold
- 11 Bomb Victims (mentioned)
- Operator (mumbles only)
- Brown Lenny
- Dale (cameo)
- Monroe Timmy (cameo)
- Frank (cameo)
- Sea urchins
- Gary the Snail (mentioned)
At the Krusty Krab, it is Employee Brotherhood Day, a day on which all employees must exchange gifts that they made themselves. For his gift to Squidward, SpongeBob presents him with a sweater made out of his own eyelashes, so Squidward relizes Employee Brotherhood Day means a holiday called Squid's Off By One Day, a day in which strange things happen to him. When Squidward scoffs at this heartfelt gift, SpongeBob begins to cry copiously, eventually handing Squidward a sweater made from his own tears.
Squidward, wishing he could simply buy a gift instead of spending time on making one, finds a group of pirates outside with a sack of pies. The pirates inform him that these are actually pie-shaped bombs, but after Squidward offers to buy one, they claim that to be a joke and sell him a pie of indeterminate flavor for $25. Squidward presents his supposedly homemade pie to Mr. Krabs, who decides to give it a taste test. He breaks a tiny bit off the crust and goes to get some milk. Tripping on his way, the fallen crumb of pie explodes and wrecks the back of the Krusty Krab, blasting Squidward and Mr. Krabs away. While Mr. Krabs believes it to be a deliberate attempt on his life, Squidward confesses that he bought the pie ignorant of its contents.When they arrive back at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob has apparently eaten the entire pie. Mr. Krabs, having seen this situation play out eleven times prior, tells Squidward that the pie will explode at sunset upon reaching SpongeBob's lower intestine. Squidward decides to make SpongeBob's remaining hours the most fun he's ever had, and so asks him what he would most like to do. SpongeBob presents an extensive list of exactly that. The listed activities include greeting everyone in town, greeting everyone in town again with Squidward in a salmon suit, telling knock-knock jokes and performing open heart surgery.
The final activity SpongeBob has planned is watching the sunset with Squidward. Remembering Mr. Krabs' warning, Squidward nervously agrees to participate. As they sit facing the setting sun, SpongeBob casually notes the brick wall Squidward has built between them. SpongeBob then mentions that if he were to die, "in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend," this sunset would be exactly what he would want to see. Squidward begins to tear up at this while SpongeBob lets out a small burp, saying something of indeterminate flavor just hit his lower intestine. With the sun nearly past the horizon, SpongeBob begins a five-second countdown, letting Squidward finish the count. At the end of the first count, with the sun still visible, SpongeBob chuckles that they may have started too early. Squidward, increasingly nervous, begins counting down once more. When he hits "two," the sun finally sets and an explosion rocks the wall. Squidward breaks down into tears, thankful he was at least able to make SpongeBob's last few hours meaningful.
Another explosion occurs, which knocks the wall down, crushing Squidward. He pulls himself out from underneath and, to his bewilderment, finds SpongeBob alive and well and blowing bubble bombs. Squidward angrily berates SpongeBob that he was supposed to explode after eating the pie. At first, Spongebob is confused, but then remembers the pie he was saving in his back pocket for them to share. As he walks over to Squidward, Spongebob trips over a nearby rock and accidentally flings the pie directly at his face. The resulting collision triggers the bomb inside the pie, demolishing all of Bikini Bottom in a nuclear explosion. Squidward miraculously survives, uttering a very plain "Ouch."
- Footage of the Operation Crossroads' Baker atomic test is used to represent the explosion near the end of the episode. The test was conducted at Bikini Atoll. The series is set in the fictional city of Bikini Bottom, located beneath Bikini Atoll.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton [title card]
‣ Senor Beguine - Edwina Travis-Chin [Squidward playing piano]
‣ Serenading the Night - Jan Rap [Squidward driving to work]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [employee brotherhood day]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [drum roll]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Eyelashes!"]
‣ Lonely Violin - Dick Stephen Walter [sweater of tears]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Squidward sighs]
‣ When Daylight Shines/Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [pirate ship]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a second."]
‣ Shock (u) - Dave Hewson [Krabs trips]
‣ Shock (g) - Dave Hewson ["So, you tried to kill me over a little new aged management, eh?"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Mr. Krabs, are you okay?"]
‣ Action Cut (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward finishes explaining]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["You had to kill him."]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward calls the hospital]
‣ Melancholy Tears - Mike Sunderland ["Why ruin his last day on earth?"]
‣ Orchestral Links 50 - Mike Sunderland [Squidward cries]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob's friendship list]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [doing everything on the list]
‣ Fates [#61.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward remembers what Krabs said]
‣ Pua Paoakalani (b) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [watching the sunset]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [counting down]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Squidward cries]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies, Complete 2nd Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of August 14, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.3/10 based on 308 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 9.1/10 based on 181 votes.
- "Dying for Pie" was ranked #52 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Running Gag: Kids throwing rocks at Squidward and SpongeBob laughing as he checks things off the list.
- The title card resembles the pattern of a picnic tablecloth.
- Squidward appears driving a boatmobile in this episode, but he frequently appears using his bicycle or walking to work. However, Squidward appears using another boat in "Boating Buddies."
- There is a bumper sticker on Squidward's boatmobile that reads, "Don't ask me about my day."
- When SpongeBob is sliding his body across the Krusty Krab glass window, he leaves a trail of clearness with part of the glass turning lighter. It's implied here that SpongeBob's body is cleaning the glass as he is a sponge.
- Mr. Krabs mentioned he had seen this "11 times" before. The bomb was purchased from pirates, and it is implied that Mr. Krabs witnessed 11 comrades in the navy die from pirate attacks during his time in the war.
- SpongeBob's things to do for his friendship list:
- Show Squidward (to everyone in town)
- (Show Squidward to everyone in town) in a salmon suit
- Knock-knock jokes
- Open-heart surgery
- Lookin' like (cut off)
- Thumb puppets
- Reverse Friends
- Act like apes
- Trade faces
- Peel-a-go (cut off)
- Open-heart surgery (again)
- Read a story
- Babble like an idiot (unseen)
- Watch the sunset with Squidward
- Hundreds of other unseen acts
- This is the first time there is an over sized explosion/nuclear reaction. The next one is in "The Krusty Plate," and the third is in "Frozen Face Off."
- This is the first time that Earl's Revenge plays.
- This is the third time where Squidward feels sorry for SpongeBob. The first time was in "Pizza Delivery," the second was in "Fools in April," and the fourth was in "Christmas Who?"
- When SpongeBob was doing open-heart surgery on Squidward, it was the first time blood appears on the show. Squidward also has a blood scene in "House Fancy."
- This episode was originally going to be rated something higher than TV-Y7 because of the blood shown during the heart surgery, but somehow SpongeBob SquarePants creators and Nickelodeon got around it. It might have been because the heart and the blood were fake.
- SpongeBob was rated TV-Y back then; blood is uncommon in shows with this rating unless the episode is about getting a wound.
- The scene where SpongeBob yells, "Gary! You are gonna finish the dessert and you are gonna like it!" has become a popular internet meme.
- It is unknown how Squidward and the citizens of Bikini Bottom recovered from the pie explosion.
- The explosion at the end of this episode has become a popular meme on the Internet and a very popular YouTube Poop source, And the nuke can be found in "Operation Crossroads"
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Bombowe ciasto" translating to "The Bomb Pie."
- SpongeBob also said that he and Squidward will finish the book by October, not January.
- In German, the episode is called "Die Kuchen-Bombe" translating to "The Pie Bomb," "Employees Brotherhood Day" translates to "Alle-Angestellten-Sind Freunde Tag" "All Employees are Friends Day,' the characters' voice actors translate the writing themselves: "Do Not Ask Me About My Day" becomes "Frag Mich Nicht Wie's Mir Geht" translating to "Do Not Ask Me How I Am."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's name is "Ubojita Pita" translating to "Deadly Pie."
- SpongeBob talks to the audience when he says "Hey look, it's Mr. Krabs!"
- In the beginning scene where Squidward is shown playing the piano, the note he plays that makes the ringing sound is actually a D, while it is animated to be an F.
- When Squidward and Mr. Krabs walked to the door, Mr. Krabs' eyebrows disappeared.
- After Squidward scolds Mr. Krabs for making Employee Brotherhood Day, when he says "...that guy!," Mr. Krabs is seen clearly with no legs. This is most likely an animation error. Also in that same scene, Squidward only has two legs. This error also occurred in "Christmas Who?"
- When SpongeBob says "eyelashes," his forehead is noticeably higher. It also shows the lighter part, which is where his eyebrows are supposed to be not his eyelashes.
- The Krusty Krab appears and disappears in the background when Squidward talks with the pirates.
- Before the pie piece exploded at the Krusty Krab, Squidward's Krusty Krab Employee Hat was on, but after the explosion, he did not have his hat. His employee hat probably blew away off-screen from the explosion.
- When Mr. Krabs took a small piece of the pie and said that it would be more delicious with some milk, when the small piece of pie exploded after he tripped down, the place where the small pie exploded strangely moved behind Mr. Krabs' counter.
- When Mr. Krabs drops a small piece of pie on the barrel, it causes a violent explosion in the Krusty Krab. However, when Squidward carelessly dropped the pie onto Mr. Krab's desk, it caused to no reaction or explosion. This could be that the tin protected the pie, since Mr. Krabs dropped an exposed piece of it and SpongeBob dropped in in Squidward's face.
- After Squidward and Mr. Krabs are blown out of the Krusty Krab and they see the pie is gone, the wall was strangely blown inwards instead of outwards.
- When Mr. Krabs tries to eat a piece of the pie, he left a small hole in the pie. When SpongeBob takes it out from his pocket and walks to Squidward, the hole was gone.
- The open-heart surgery appears to come after the trade faces activity, but it was also written after the knock knock jokes.
- Because Squidward is an octopus, his blood in the open-heart surgery should have been blue.
- When SpongeBob checks some of the things off the list, the list glitches and overlaps itself, seeming to fold.
- The order of things to do on the list also changes multiple times throughout the episode.
- The bandage on Squidward's chest disappears when he and SpongeBob go watch the sunset.
- When the brick wall that is separating Squidward Tentacles and SpongeBob SquarePants during the sunset breaks down after the bubble bomb explosion, a brick flies out of it. During the second bubble explosion, the brick is suddenly back in the wall when it is in the air, and disappears again when it falls on top of Squidward.
- When SpongeBob says, "Well since we finished everything on the list, I thought I'd make up a new one," the closed captions say, "Well since we finished everything on the list I made a new one."
- There was no rock near SpongeBob when Squidward was yelling at him. When SpongeBob said, "Oh! You mean this pie!" the screen eased in to the pie. When it zoomed out, a rock appeared near SpongeBob and this, he tripped.
- When Squidward and Mr. Krabs are in his office, the clock has 15 hour lines, but when Squidward remembers Mr. Krabs later in the episode, the clock has 12 lines.
- On the YTV airings of this episode, the title card isn't shown.