- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Rex (debut)
- Lary the Snail (debut)
- Jerry (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (mentioned)
While SpongeBob and Gary are playing tag, Patrick joins in and begins to get better acquainted with the little mollusk. At the end of the day, Gary seems to want to stick with Patrick a while longer, so SpongeBob agrees to let Gary have a sleepover at Patrick's house. The next morning, Gary is still reluctant to leave Patrick, who concludes that Gary wants to be with him and so claims him as his own pet. SpongeBob refuses to believe this, but when Gary is given the choice of who shall be his owner, Gary heads for Patrick. SpongeBob is heartbroken, and out of jealousy, he attempts to find a new pet to show to Gary that he does not need a two-timing snail.
First, SpongeBob gets Rex, a worm, and shows him off to the blissfully unaware Patrick and Gary. SpongeBob extols all the traits that make worms superior to snails, such as their loyalty. Rex promptly illustrates this by abandoning SpongeBob and hitching a ride on a bus. Next, SpongeBob brings home Lary, a snail with a terrible temperament. SpongeBob bends over backward to accommodate Lary, even giving up his own bed to the picky snail, but Lary's unceasing viciousness leaves SpongeBob forlorn. Even the anatomically correct snail, Jerry, can't fill the hole in SpongeBob's heart.
Patrick, accompanied by Gary, stops by SpongeBob's house to do some laundry. In desperation, SpongeBob begs and pleads with Gary, offering him all manner of gifts and privileges if only he'll come back. Patrick patronizingly tells SpongeBob to let it go, that Gary has already made his choice. Gary, meanwhile, crawls into the washing machine after Patrick's shorts. SpongeBob and Patrick watch, Patrick angry that Gary apparently just likes him for his fashion sense. SpongeBob, however, realizes that all along Gary had only wanted a cookie left in Patrick's pocket. As SpongeBob and Gary, now satiated and reunited, go outside for a walk, a heartbroken and devastated Patrick stares after them and shouts, "Gary? I thought what we had was special!"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Daytime Drama 59/29 - Geoff Bastow [title card]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - Jan Rap [opening]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Gary is attracted to Patrick]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr ["Gary?"]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick brushing his teeth]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [the next day]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob confused]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Cold Fear - Dick Stephen Walter ["I closed the window on my head!"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Gary, you stop this foolishness right now."]
‣ Daytime Drama 59/29 - Geoff Bastow [Gary stays with Patrick]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob's pet worm]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Larry the snail]
‣ Paradise Isle - Jan Rap [SpongeBob misses Gary]
‣ Torn Apart - Mike Sunderland [laundry]
‣ Daytime Drama 59/29 - Geoff Bastow [SpongeBob begs Gary to come back]
‣ Daytime Drama [#12] - Geoff Bastow ["I'm sorry, SpongeBob, but Gary's with me now."]
‣ Melancholy Tears - Mike Sunderland ["Face it, SpongeBob, you're only hurting yourself."]
‣ Sunny Samoa - Jan Rap [Gary just wanted the cookie in Patrick's pocket]
‣ Daytime Drama [#13] - Geoff Bastow [ending]
- As of June 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.8/10 based on 237 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 8.9/10 based on 163 votes.
- "Dumped" was ranked #81 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- When the camera zooms in on SpongeBob thinking, Patrick is saying "Blah, Blah, Blah" in the background. When the camera zooms out Patrick is speaking normally again, but when SpongeBob leaves Patrick's rock, he says "Blah, Blah, Blah" again.
- SpongeBob, in a throwaway joke, reveals that he has another pet snail, "Jerry," a photo-realistic land snail.
- SpongeBob reminds Gary that he took care of him when his eyeballs were sore. Closed-captions alternate between "sore" and "tore" in different airings.
- A smaller version of SpongeBob's wringer can be seen when Patrick is placing his basket of clothes on the table.
- In the beginning, SpongeBob is playing tag with Gary. When he runs up his house, an extra window is seen next to the upstairs window. The extra window reappears at the beginning of the scene where SpongeBob introduces Rex.
- Rex, SpongeBob's pet worm leaves on a bus. In early airings, this bus had obvious jellyfishers on it. If it stayed this way permanently, then it would make this the final episode to feature a bus full of jellyfishers.
- Lary made an appearance in Lights, Camera, Pants! as the Sneaky Hermit's pet.
- The face SpongeBob makes when he says "Who's a good boy?!" to Rex can be seen on various SpongeBob licensed products, including the newer packages of Kraft SpongeBob SquarePants Macaroni and Cheese. It is accompanied by the slogan, "grin and square it!"
- Rex is similar to Mr. Krabs' pet, Mr. Doodles.
- The scene of SpongeBob's wide, sad eyes has been featured in SpongeBob Bootleg Tape creepypasta, with no mouth and bloodshot eyes.
- This is the first episode in which Gary leaves SpongeBob. The second is "Have You Seen This Snail?"
- This is the first episode in which SpongeBob says "Gary the snail!" to Gary in the series.
- This is the first appearance of SpongeBob's laundry room. It later appears in "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants." However, it looks different in that episode than in this episode.
- This is the second episode where Gary the Snail stays with Patrick. The first was in "Home Sweet Pineapple."
- This is the second episode where Squidward Tentacles does not appear in both segments.
- Also Eugene H. Krabs and Squidward Tentacles do not appear in both segments.
- This is the second episode to highlight Patrick as the main antagonist, the first time was in "Big Pink Loser."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob wears the Green Robe. The first time where he wears the Green Robe was "Jellyfish Jam."
- When SpongeBob carries Gary away from Patrick, it zooms in on Gary, and his sleeve is green instead of white.
- Gary's spots are also larger than usual in that scene.
- When SpongeBob gets Lary, he states that Gary's name "will not be mentioned in this household." The next morning, SpongeBob mentions Gary's name.
- When SpongeBob's alarm goes off, he does not press the button to make it stop, the alarm magically stops by itself.
- At dinner time, SpongeBob gives Lary the Snail a food bowl that clearly spells his name with one R. However, in the credits, Lary's name is mistakenly spelled as "Larry" with two R's instead of one.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|