- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Le Squish (debut)
- Mrs. Puff
- The Huff (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Skateboarders (debut)
- Purple Doctorfish
- Tough Guy (cameo)
- Popeye Fish (cameo)
- Jim (cameo)
- Captain Lutefisk (debut)
- The Cackling Cruiser (debut)
- Blow Torch (debut)
- The Kruncher (debut)
- Divin' Bell Dale (debut)
- Unnamed driver (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Frank (red shirt)
- Frankie Billy
- Sheldon (fish)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Tina Fran
- Fred (blue)
- Monroe Timmy
- Old Man Jenkins
- Harold (red fish)
- Nat Peterson
- Medley Fishbowl
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Nathiel Waters
- Frank (muscular goldfish)
- Jimmy Gus
- Ivy (gray)
- Tough Fish
SpongeBob goes to boating school and during the test he continues to crash into the same two cars, inflating Mrs. Puff every time he continues to crash into an obstacle. Mrs. Puff then inflates so much, she sends the car airborne. SpongeBob then crashes the car into the lighthouse of the boating school, critically injuring Mrs. Puff.
In the hospital, the purple doctorfish clarifies that Mrs. Puff's inflation sac (the part that pufferfishes use to puff up) was popped in the collision and she will not be able to "puff" again. Mrs. Puff is extremely angry and begins grabbing his nose and threatening him. She is tranquilized to stop her from hurting him. SpongeBob then begins to ramble and the doctor tranquilizes him as well, saying that everyone needs to take a nap.
SpongeBob then visits Mrs. Puff with a bouquet of flowers along with the hundreds of other flowers he sent her, which she appears to be allergic to. After forcing her into a wheelchair, he pushes her down the hallway. Doctors are seen sprinting through the hallway with muscular men on the gurneys. SpongeBob stops the purple doctorfish and asks what was going on. He replies the Demolition Derby members are about to battle in the hospital room, where they appear to be hitting each other with wheelchairs. The purple doctorfish says that they are brave to risk their lives for the community's entertainment. Mrs. Puff imagines them smashing into SpongeBob and killing him and begins laughing hysterically. Her laughing attracts SpongeBob's attention, and she claims she has a way for him to earn "extra credit."
She talks to Captain Lutefisk asking him if she can enter SpongeBob. She shows him how much damage SpongeBob can do with a boat, though he is just using a steering wheel. Lutefisk says he is perfect for the derby and puts a sock on his head, giving him the title "Le Squish." At the derby, SpongeBob is unaware of what he is supposed to do, which is to take out the opponents. Seeing him as an easy target, some competitors ram into him but are unable to hit the car and are all hit by SpongeBob or destroyed in another way by the car. SpongeBob carelessly drives around everywhere, eliminating everyone.
Mrs. Puff is enraged at how SpongeBob is defeating the competitors only by serendipity. She then steals a tractor. She then starts to chase SpongeBob, trying to crush and kill him. She is unsuccessful as SpongeBob avoids her and all the cars are crushed before she breaks the wall and starts chasing him off-road. They then collide into the boating school after Mrs. Puff chases SpongeBob for a while. She regains her "puff," which SpongeBob notices and they get injured by the school, which the tower collapses and crushes them.
Deleted SceneAccording to the storyboard, after SpongeBob went down the rail, the other skaters were originally going to say "Dude!" This was cut for unknown reasons.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 3 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's driving test day!"]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap ["Let's get this party started."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["No, SpongeBob, not again!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [boat floats up]
‣ Synopsis - Frank Harlow [Mrs. Puff in the hospital]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [Mrs. Puff growls]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That tickles!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks V - Jeremy Wakefield [Doctor shot SpongeBob]
‣ Classic Soap 14 - Dieter Reith [SpongeBob brings Mrs. Puff flowers]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (a) - Dick Stephen Walter ["You need to get out of this stuffy old room."]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob takes Mrs. Puff for a stroll.]
‣ Big City Sidewalks - Sam Spence ["Clear the way!"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Oh, it's nothing serious."]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [demolition derby casualties]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["Risking their lives for our amusement?"]
‣ Unknown Track 27 - Fabian Fernandez [Mrs. Puff's daydream]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - Mrs. Puff laughs
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["Yes, hooray indeed."]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony ["So what do you say, Captain Lutefisk?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Lutefisk snaps fingers]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Lutefisk removes one of his shoes]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin ["Yes, extra credit..."]
‣ Unknown Track 27 - Fabian Fernandez [Lutefisk introduces contestants]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, that Squish looks pretty tough."]
‣ Unknown Track 27 - Fabian Fernandez [Demolition derby begins/All of the drivers surround SpongeBob.]
‣ Unknown Track 3 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Cackling Cruiser slams into SpongeBob]
‣ Drama Sting 5 - Steve Marston ["If you want someone demolished, I guess you have to demolish them yourself."]
‣ Unknown Track 69 - Mrs. Puff driving a monster truck
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sees Mrs. Puff]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay, Complete Eighth Season, and Deep-Sea Games DVDs.
- As of March 10 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 4.6/10 based on 122 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 5.1/10 based on 11 votes.
- This episode and "Face Freeze!" aired as part of the Super Spongy Square Games special even though they are not in Season 9.
- This episode has a similar plot to the video game SpongeBob's Boating Bash for the Wii and Nintendo DS.
- There is a book based on this episode called Demolition Derby.
- This is, by far, Mrs. Puff's darkest role in the series, as she had lost her sanity because of her life-changing accident combined with years of putting up with SpongeBob. In "Bumper to Bumper," Mrs. Puff gets really angry at SpongeBob for failing the test many times.
- For these many reasons, this episode is hated by most fans and is rated PG in Canada.
- The Purple Doctorfish said "Come look at this week's casualties." Casualties are people who have been injured or killed in a serious accident.
- This is the second time Mrs. Puff has been flat. The first time was "Patty Hype" when she makes a cameo in the Pretty Patties crowd.
- This is the second time Mrs. Puff is completely deflated. The first was "Pranks a Lot."
- This is the fifth episode to use Classic Soap 14 music, the others being "The Lost Mattress," "The Two Faces of Squidward," "The Clash of Triton," and "The Masterpiece."
- It is revealed that Squidward has a carrot patch near his house.
- Originally, the episode "The Hot Shot" was supposed to have SpongeBob take a class field trip to a derby, and he accidentally enters himself in it. That idea was later recycled into this episode.
- The plot is similar to "No Free Rides," because Mrs. Puff gets sick of SpongeBob failing, and she wanted him out of her class (although it is taken to extreme proportions including killing him here). Then, she plans something for SpongeBob and covers it up as Extra Credit.
- This episode premiered on Robin Williams' 61st birthday, three years after the "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants DVD" was released, and one year after "The Googly Artiste" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada 11 years after SuperSponge was released and ten years after the premiere of "Shanghaied: Patrick's ending" and "Shanghaied: Squidward's ending" and the release of the "Sea Stories DVD" and "VHS."
- Captain Lutefisk is a reference to the WWE wrestler Captain Lou.
- Captain Lutefisk's name is also a reference to a dish made from fish called "Lutefisk."
- During the part where SpongeBob is pushing Mrs. Puff down the hall in her wheelchair, one of the pictures looks similar to the logo used by Apple Inc.
- This episode is named after a type of entertainment involving crashing cars into each other called a "demolition derby."
- The part where Mrs. Puff's tractor crashes into her boating school and collapses is a parody/reference to the September 11th attacks.
- When the Kruncher is driving away from SpongeBob, after the latter drove over him, the Kruncher's back fins are missing in that shot. There was another shot that also showed his missing back fin.
- Oddly, even though Captain Lutefisk introduced the four drivers and SpongeBob, there was another unknown driver that tried to crash SpongeBob along with Blow Torch and Divin' Bell Dale. Those three also drove into another unknown fish that may be also competing in the derby.
- In the part where SpongeBob says "Oh dear, I think I'm in that Fellow's way," his voice is higher pitched than usual, This error also occurs in "Little Yellow Book."
- There is a part of this episode where SpongeBob drives on Blow Torch's face, according to the gravity (which is like real life), SpongeBob should have squashed him instead of being balanced on his face. It may be that the sea has different gravity, which might explain how SpongeBob floated on to his face.
- It's unknown what gave Mrs. Puff her "puff" back at the end of episode. It's also unknown if she lost her "puff" again.
- Despite being arrested in other episodes, Mrs. Puff doesn't get arrested here, despite her trying to murder SpongeBob.
- Mrs. Puff's hair outline turns black on two occasions as she and SpongeBob watched the derby inside the hospital.
- When SpongeBob jumps out of the water (as a real-life kitchen sponge), his sock mask is missing.
- Nat Peterson's lips are a pale yellow in one scene, then blue in the next.