"Club SpongeBob" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season three. In this episode, SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward are flung into the Kelp Forest.
The episode begins with Squidward leaving his house and riding his bicycle to work. He then rides past a tall tree, at the top of which is a small box where SpongeBob and Patrick are sitting and giggling profusely. They see Squidward below and talk to each other about this, beginning certain words with a "w." Squidward approaches the base of the tree and asks what they are doing, and SpongeBob tells Squidward that he cannot tell him because he is not a member of their club. Squidward mocks them, saying that he is more than qualified to join their club. SpongeBob tells Squidward he could not get in even if he tried. Squidward tells them that he is "a member of over 20 different exclusive clubs all across the sea bottom.," but SpongeBob and Patrick insist that he would not fit in. Enraged, Squidward tells them they know nothing of fitting in before he proceeds to climb the tree. SpongeBob and Patrick frantically tell Squidward to stop but he does not.
Squidward crawls into their tiny box house, and SpongeBob and Patrick explain that they literally meant that he would not "fit in," and that he and Patrick have been stuck in the tree for three days. SpongeBob and Patrick begin Squidward's initiation into their "club," but Squidward stops them, and attempts to get out be pulling on a smaller tree. He manages to make the tree double over and is about to crawl out when the second tree snaps, launching them into the sky. They fly over a kelp forest, where a couple sees them believing it's meteor and the man says "Make a wish, Honey.
The trio crash in a small clearing in a distant section of the kelp forest. SpongeBob and Patrick begin to jump and shout joyfully while Squidward panics at his situation of being lost and stuck with SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob and Patrick try to comfort Squidward by telling him it could be worse, and that they will survive as a club and as long as they have the "Magic Conch Shell," a Magic 8 ball-like device which SpongeBob and Patrick treat as prophetic and all-knowing. They believe the Magic Conch should never be questioned and should always be consulted before any action is taken. SpongeBob asks it what they must do to escape the kelp forest, and the conch says, "Nothing." SpongeBob and Patrick sit on the ground doing nothing, and Squidward is enraged at their stupidity. He announces that he intends to escape the forest and get back to sanity by himself, and walks away. As Squidward tries to find an exit, he becomes lost and afraid and eventually comes back to where SpongeBob and Patrick are.
Even more time passes, and by now, Squidward has dismantled the box in order to build a shelter. He has a hat made out of some dried plant and is sitting by a small campfire. He is holding an empty frying pan over the fire. A small bug scurries past, and Squidward catches it and proceeds to cook it. He taunts SpongeBob with his "food," saying that they could have sided with him and survived, but instead listened to a talking shell- that tells them nothing. He proceeds to say, "As if the answers to all your problems will fall right out of the sky! (laughs) Fall right out of the sky!"
Above the forest, a damaged plane is seen falling right out of the sky, and the pilots drop their load of picnic supplies and food to avoid crashing. The equipment lands around SpongeBob and Patrick, who emerge from their state of doing nothing and praise the magic conch. Squidward is extremely shocked and walks over to the two, who are devouring a table full of delicious food. Squidward says he was only kidding earlier and asks if he is still a member of the club, and SpongeBob tells him that he is still a member. Squidward cannot decide what to choose, and forcibly follows SpongeBob's suggestion of asking the conch shell. It tells him he cannot have either of the two items he asked for. He tries another one, and the conch says no. He repeatedly asks it if he can have anything to eat, with the shell responding "no" every time. When the conch says "no" again, but with sass, Squidward becomes enraged and is about to go mad when a Park Ranger enters the clearing.
Squidward tells him he has been stranded with SpongeBob, Patrick, and the magic conch shell for weeks, and his mention of the "magic conch shell" prompts the ranger who pulls out an identical conch, much to Squidward's surprise. SpongeBob and Patrick are delighted to meet a "club member," and the ranger tells them that his conch advised him to look for them. The three club members praise the magic conch before asking it how to get out of the kelp forest. It tells
them, "Nothing." Following the conch's advice, they do nothing and assume sitting positions on the ground. Squidward, completely dumbfounded, praises the magic conch and sits down as well, ending the episode.
‣ Hilo March
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Jan Rap [title card]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [opening]
‣ Silly Season (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [Squidward refuses to join SpongeBob and Patrick's club]
‣ Danger Zone - Mike Sunderland [they get stranded in a forest]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["Well, this is the end."]
‣ Bashful Eyes - Kapono Beamer ["Come on, guys, we're gonna be fine."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [magic conch shell]
‣ The Promised Land - David Farnon [conch tells them to do nothing]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["I can't believe you two are gonna take advice from a toy!"]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward gets lost]
‣ Heavenly Voices (b) - David Farnon [choir; Squidward sees a light]
‣ Newsreel - Sam Fonteyn ["Take that, SpongeBob and Patrick!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Squidward realizes there is no way out]
‣ Hawaiian Breeze - Jon Jelmer [Squidward cooking a bug]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer ["Dude, we're falling right out of the sky!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [bug hits Squidward]
‣ O Makalapua (b) - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Patrick eating]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon ["The conch is the one who gave us this banquet."]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You guys have it all wrong."]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [conch tells Squidward he cannot have anything to eat]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward getting angry]
‣ V for Victory - Sam Fonteyn [ranger appears]
‣ Hilo March - Jan Rap [ending]
- As of June 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.1/10 based on 274 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 140 votes.
- This was the last episode to credit Walt Dohrn as a writer for the show since he served as a storyboard director for "Party Pooper Pants" before his departure.
- This is the the second title to have SpongeBob's name in the title. The first was "Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm."
- Phrases that the Conch Shell says:
- "Maybe someday."
- Nothing (twice)
- I don't think so
- No (most commonly)
- Try asking again
- (in a mocking tone) No!
- This and "Graveyard Shift" are the first two episodes to be released on video before airing on television. It was featured on the Sponge Buddies VHS and the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies DVD, which were released on March 12, 2002, 117 days before it premiered on TV.
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall when he says "Why must every 11 minutes of my life be filled with misery?" in reference to an episode's length. This was also referenced in "Nature Pants," "Missing Identity," and "Planet of the Jellyfish."
- SpongeBob also breaks the fourth wall by saying "This copyrighted conch is the cornerstone of our organization." as a reference to the fact that the Magic Conch was copyrighted by Stephen Hillenburg.
- This is the first episode where the closed-captions are shown before the actual lines. Most subsequent episodes would continue this.
- The Kelp Forest is featured in the GBA version of Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, as well as Battle for Bikini Bottom, Truth or Square, and The Yellow Avenger. It was also displayed on the boot-up/installation window for the Employee of the Month game, although it is not a location in the game.
- The episode is dubbed in Spanish and French on Absorbing Favorites and Complete Third Season DVDs.
- In the German dub, the title card font is not changed.
- This is the second time Patrick uses his mouth like a vacuum cleaner to take in food. The first time was in "Grandma's Kisses."
- This is the only Season 3 episode to be on a Blu-Ray disc.
- The bug squished by Squidward has a blood stain on it.
- The online game Spitwad Showdown is based on this episode.
- The clubhouse appears again in SpongeBob Moves In!
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Klub SpongeBoba" (SpongeBob's Club).
- Squidward had said the quote "Why must every eleven minutes of my life be filled with misery?!" However, in "Band Geeks" and "Suction Cup Symphony," he actually gets a good ending in those two episodes. Thus it may possibly be that "Band Geeks" and "Suction Cup Symphony" come after this episode.
- This is the fourth episode to have German dub version of this episode with the exact same name as the English version. The first episode is "Plankton!," the second is "F.U.N.," and the third is "Texas."
- This is the only episode where the first half of Grass Skirts Blowing is played in the title card. In other episodes that use it in the title card there is an abridged version of the second half playing. Also, the episode begins and ends with the song, somewhat bookending the episode.
- This episode is loosely based on the 1954 classic novel, Lord of the Flies with the conch being present; SpongeBob resembling Ralph; Patrick resembling Piggy; and Squidward somewhat resembling Jack. Both of the episode and the novel contain a crashing plane and end with someone in uniform showing up to save them.
- The Magic Conch Shell is a parody of the real-world Magic 8-Ball toy.
- Squidward's line "right after I consult the magic toenail" could be a reference to the song 'Magic Toenail' from the Brak Show.
- Patrick's quote "The shell has spoken!" refers to Jeff Probst's catchphrase "The tribe has spoken" on the reality TV show Survivor.
- When Squidward says "Stuck... in the middle of nowhere! With SpongeBob and Patrick!" SpongeBob and Patrick can be seen holding hands, and after the Ranger shows Squidward the magic conch shell, SpongeBob's hand looks as if he is holding Patrick's hand from Patrick's palm.
- When the Ranger arrives and shows his magic conch shell, SpongeBob and Patrick's conch disappears.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick call Squidward "Widward," the closed captions say "Windward."
- At the beginning of the episode, the tree, and the clubhouse are facing to the road, and there were many trees seen. But after SpongeBob and Patrick insults Squidward, the tree and the clubhouse are turned 90º to the right, and there are barely any trees shown. When Squidward climbs the tree, it is facing back to the road, but when .Squidward tries to get out of the clubhouse, it rotated 90º to the right again.
- Also, when Squidward tries to get out of the clubhouse, there is an additional skinny, tall tree that Squidward grabs on. It did not appear in any scene before Squidward climbs into the clubhouse.
- When Squidward rides on his bike he left his door open, but as soon as he tries to get back down, the door is shut.
- When the camera zoomed in to the Magic Conch Shell during its last "no" in response to Squidward's last question, his arm was miscolored yellow.
- It is unknown why Squidward did not just follow the path the Ranger made to home instead of stay with SpongeBob, Patrick, and the ranger.
- When Patrick pours ketchup on his mouth, his pupil closed instead of his eyelids closing. Also, when you can see Patrick eating a bone, the bottom of his eyelids are pink. This error also happened in "The Smoking Peanut" and "The Great Snail Race."
- In the same scene, three Krabby Patties appear on the table and the sandwich disappears.
- When SpongeBob is shown drinking a glass of orange juice, the juice in the glass stays at the same level instead of going down.
- The clubhouse is facing to the left while it's in the air after the tree breaks at the time Squidward is about to get out of it, but it is facing to the right when it lands in the kelp forest, & to the left again when Squidward returns to SpongeBob & Patrick when he finds out that there's no way out of the kelp forest.
- Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick are clean & there's no garbage on the ground when Squidward is frustrated. But there is garbage on the ground, flies are flying around them, & they are filthy after the ranger asks them if they need help.
- SpongeBob, Patrick, & Squidward's clothes isn't ripped at first, but it is after the ranger finds them & it isn't anymore after the ranger asks them if they need help.
- The beginning of the episode shows Squidward going to work, though it is unknown why SpongeBob isn't seen going also.