- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Grandma Tentacles (debut)
- Jethra (debut)
- Perch Perkins
- Nat Peterson
- Abigail Marge
- Charles (fancy) (green)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Norma Rechid
- Dale (cameo)
- Angry Mob
After a long day of work, Squidward begins to contemplate the surroundings of the Krusty Krab, only to find that he thinks is disgusting, and that it has no doormat, courtesy of Mr. Krabs' cheapness. Mr. Krabs, as usual, dismisses his comments as mere complaints and obnoxiously claims that Squidward himself would have no true experience on how to run his own restaurant. Squidward then retaliates at this mockery by claiming that if he started a restaurant, due to his gourmet cooking, that people will be waiting for years just to have a taste of his delicacies. Mr. Krabs laughs at this statement as SpongeBob and Squidward depart from the Krusty Krab. Squidward continues his boasting and claims that with his cooking abilities, he can even make the Chum Bucket a success and make people come dine there.Plankton overhears this statement and rushes out of the Chum Bucket. While his first attempt to capture their attention, but to no avail, he hooks on to Squidward's skin near his scalp. Squidward pries Plankton off and listens to his offer, and when Mr. Krabs passes by and flat-out says that he doesn't value him, Squidward accepts and enters the Chum Bucket. Though Squidward immediately jumps to decorating the Chum Bucket, Plankton reminds him that he hired Squidward to cook. Squidward pours a batch of chum into a large container. He claims that he can make even chum edible with his Grandma Tentacles' secret recipe, yet it will take exactly 24 hours to cook. After 24 hours, Squidward places a plate of the chum on a plate for Plankton. Plankton is not amused at first, for the chum looked the same yet the smell did not make him retch. After tasting it, he claims he loves it.
The chum leads to the opening of a new restaurant using Squidward as the chef and the same structure of the Chum Bucket. The restaurant is called Le Chum Bucket and the chum is called "Chum Fricassee" prepared only by Squidward. Squidward becomes a big hit while the Krusty Krab appears to have no customers. At first what looks like a customer at the Krusty Krab is later revealed to be a customer from the Le Chum Bucket. He was at the Krusty Krab because the Le Chum Bucket was full of customers. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs sneak into the Le Chum Bucket as fancy customers, for they assume only fancy people dine there which it is in fact displayed earlier in the episode. Once they gain entry, Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob that these are classier people and do not raise their voice as SpongeBob does. When they approach the reservation desk with Karen as the reservation seeker, Mr. Krabs makes up a fake alias to gain entry as Mr. Crumbled Wrapper. Karen does not see a reservation for a Mr. Crumbled Wrapper, yet she does offer a reservation and seat within 2 years, which angers Mr. Krabs. Squidward enters the scene and reveals SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs' true identities. He takes them to the bathroom, where he places a table cloth on the rim, making the entire restaurant laugh.
SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs are left on the side of the street, sobbing, only for a fish who ordered take-out chum and gave it to Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob. SpongeBob takes a bite, seeing it is so good, he forgets what a Krabby Patty is when he is asked if it tastes better than a Krabby Patty. Mr. Krabs takes a bite and decides that they are doomed, for he claims it is delicious. In Le Chum Bucket, Squidward is signing autographs and asks Plankton where the Chum Fricassee is. Plankton reminds him that the chum needs to be cooked for 24 hours and the clock on the cooker says that it is about 23 hours yet. Squidward claims he does not care and demands Plankton to serve it to the customers anyway.
Grandma Tentacles enters the restaurant, enraged when she hears someone has been using her recipe wrongly. She uses her walker to smash Squidward's foot several times only for him to lie and say that Plankton came up with the idea to serve the food incorrectly. Plankton does not accept the lie and pins it back on Squidward reminding him how he told Plankton to serve the food even if it is not cooked at exactly 24 hours. Squidward admits this, still not seeing the big deal. Grandma Tentacles, after smashing Squidward's foot again, claims that if the chum is under-cooked, it can cause severe stomach-related problems. This enrages the customers, for they ate under-cooked food unknowingly, and after damaging much property, end up burning down Le Chum Bucket. Grandma Tentacles reappears, stating she hopes he learns his lesson while leaving Plankton and Squidward in tears, sobbing. The episode ends with SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs admiring their new doormat, Squidward.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Salty Squid Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, James King [title card]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [Plankton hears Squidward say he could make the Chum Bucket a success]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, I don't know about that."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs walks by]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I quit."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Squidward says there's a trick to making chum edible
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["This is the secret stuff?"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Plankton tastes Squidward's chum fricassee]
‣ City Bustle - Larry Hochman ["This recipe is going to make you a star!"]
‣ Silver Sparkle - Harry Rabinowitz [Flavors of the Bottom]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krusty Krab is empty]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Jethra eating chum at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Time to get to the bottom of this."]
‣ Dream Date - Emil Cadkin, Phillip Green, William Loose [SpongeBob and Krabs in disguise]
‣ Tympup (c) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [toilet]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Bon appetit, suckers!"]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [one week later...]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - "Are you not seeing the line of people out there?"
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries]
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Please, sir, take my chum."]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Squidward serving fricassee]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Grandma Tentacles at the door]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Someone's been cooking my recipe... and they're doing it wrong!"]
‣ Muscovite Rebellion - David Arnold, Paul Hart [customers destroying the Chum Bucket]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["My restaurant!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I've hope you learned your lesson, genius!"]
‣ Salty Squid Jig - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [ending]
- This episode is available on The Complete Eighth Season DVD.
- As of May 3, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.8/10 based on 62 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 8.5/10 based on 6 votes.
- This is the last new episode to ever broadcast in standard-definition, but in production order, "Hello Bikini Bottom!" is the final episode to use the old SDTV format.
- This is the fourth time Squidward quits working at the Krusty Krab. The first was in "Bossy Boots," the second was in "Can You Spare a Dime?," and the third was in "Krusty Towers" (even though it was a hotel, it still counts as the Krusty Krab).
- This is the first time Plankton is shown to eat chum.
- Squidward acts out of character in this episode; he tells Plankton to serve the chum when it hadn't been cooked long enough. In other instances, he would never tolerate cutting corners, let alone doing so himself.
- This is yet another time that Mr. Krabs violates workers rights laws (by using Squidward as a doormat).
- Running Gag: Grandma Tentacles keeps smashing Squidward's foot with her walker.
- Irony: Mr. Krabs' past bad treatment to Squidward catches up to him as the latter gets revenge by humiliating him. Also, Plankton is able to mock Mr. Krabs by making profits for his business.
- This is the fourth time that the episode name is the same as the food shown/introduced in the episode. The first time was "Chocolate With Nuts," the second was "Chum Bucket Supreme," and the third was "Krusty Dogs."
- This is the second time people can actually stand eating chum with the first being in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This is the second time SpongeBob eats chum. The first was in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This was Richard Pursel's last episode as a writer.
- This episode was paired up with "Move It or Lose It" when it first premiered.
- This episode premiered nine years after Battle for Bikini Bottom was released, eight years after Nicktoons Movin' was released, seven years after Lights, Camera, Pants! was released and "Patrick SmartPants" premiered, and one year after "Ghoul Fools" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada eight years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in USA and Canada and six years after "Friend or Foe" premiered in Australia.
- When Plankton says "Who took my blue blankie?" the blue blankie is a reference to Linus Van Pelt from Peanuts, who always had a blue blanket as a security net.
- There was a long line of customers at Le Chum Bucket, but when Grandma Tentacles came in, the long line was gone.
- The "Le" in Le Chum Bucket disappears two times on the outside of the restaurant (seen three times).
- The Krusty Krab disappears in the scene with Grandma Tentacles outside the Chum Bucket.
- When the people were laughing at SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs (looking all sad), and the camera pans to Old Man Jenkins, a glass of water is outside of the table, floating in front of his torso.
- When Grandma Tentacles told Squidward that the chum needed to be cooked for exactly 24 hours, the right side of her mouth is gone.