"Chum Bucket Supreme" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season six. In this episode, Plankton hires Patrick as advertising director at the Chum Bucket.
The episode starts out when two customers park at the Chum Bucket
. Plankton thinks they want to eat there, but they were parked there because they couldn't find parking at the Krusty Krab
. Karen then suggests that Plankton should advertise his product. Plankton then hangs a sign that reads "Chum is metabolic fuel!" Patrick comes along and tries to read the sign, but his head starts smoking from the strain of trying to understand what these new words are. After his head is put out by a cup of kelp juice
, Patrick then rearranges the letters, so the sign reads "Chum is fum!" The new slogan starts to attract customers. Plankton hires Patrick as his slogan manager.
Meanwhile, back at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs believes Plankton has stolen the secret formula, so he comes up with a plan to steal the recipe back. Plankton sees through SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs' disguise, and they realize that it was the slogan that brought in the customers, despite the fact the chum tastes awful. To combat the disgusting taste of the chum, the customers simply say "Chum is Fum" over and over. Then Plankton goes to Patrick to check on how his assignment to come up with new slogan ideas is going. However, all Patrick does is write Chum is Fum in a thousand different ways. Plankton then gets mad at Patrick but cools down because Patrick's slogan is still attracting customers.
A few days later, people are getting bored of the slogan, so Plankton and Patrick hold a board meeting. Patrick comes up with a new motto three days later, changing it to "FUM IS CHUM!" This new slogan brings back Plankton's customers, much to the chagrin of Mr. Krabs. Business is so large that Plankton gets into the restaurant magazines and even a
hockey team shows up to eat. Patrick then decides to resign from his position as advertising director because he is "burnt out" - there is a hole burned into the back of his head. Plankton protests, but then bluffs to make Patrick believe that he is disposable, and not necessarily to keep customers eating at the Chum Bucket. During his rant, Plankton accidentally insults his customers over the intercom that he had installed by the cash register earlier to taunt Mr. Krabs. His customers hear him calling them "buffoons, morons, the dumbest of the dumb" among other things, which causes all his customers to abandon their chum in anger. Plankton then gets beaten up by the hockey team. In the end, everyone sees Patrick finishing a sign with the Krusty Krab's new slogan, "Krabby Patties are fum!" and everyone returns to the Krusty Krab.
‣ Chum Bucket Rhumba
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Customers? What customers?"]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben ["Hello, gentlemen, and welcome to the Chum Bucket!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [line of customers at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton's angry]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton tears up his menu]
‣ Drama Link (o) - Hubert Clifford ["We're doomed, Karen. Doomed, I tell you!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Advertising?"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Karen sighs]
‣ Steel Sting I - Jeremy Wakefield [Chum Is Metabolic Fuel!]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick appears]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Patrick struggling to read the sign
‣ Unknown Track 53 - Ron Wasserman [inside Patrick's brain]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Patrick's head on fire
‣ Steel Link (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [a few minutes later...]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [A little longer than a few minutes later...]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Chum Is Fum!]
‣ Steel Sting (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!"]
‣ Puffing Along - Harry Bluestone [sign attracts customers]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [meanwhile at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Danger HQ - Norman Dane [Krabs looks across the street]
‣ Battle March Link (a) - Keith Mansfield ["SpongeBob, we have a situation."]
‣ Chasey Racey - Norman Dane [situation alert]
‣ Tough Mission - David Farnon [Krabs thinks Plankton stole the formula]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [SpongeBob and Krabs in disguise/SpongeBob and Krabs enter at the Chum Bucket after two hours]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen ["I'm full, thanks."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [explosion]
‣ Puffing Along - Harry Bluestone [customers eating chum and puking]
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton laughs]
‣ Dachshund Walk - John Fox, Mac Prindy ["What brilliant slogans have you come up with this week, Patrick?"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [sting at end of scene]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries]
‣ Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You don't need help when you got a catchy slogan like mine."]
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr [board meeting]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [three days later]
‣ Puffing Along - Harry Bluestone [Fum Is Chum]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["Nothing can stop me now!"]
‣ Circus Overture - Daniel Jean Jeannin [montage of Plankton's success]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick resigns]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton gets beat up]
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- Although this episode premiered in 2009, it was made in 2008 according to the credits.
- Plankton claims he has never met Patrick in this episode, but in other episodes before this one, he has met him and worked for him. It is possible that this episode chronologically takes place earlier in the series.
- There is an online game based on this episode called Chum is Fum. In the game, the player makes the customers eat the Chumsticks.
- This episode is the 2nd episode in which Patrick helps to advertise for a restaurant in Bikini Bottom. The 1st was "No Hat for Pat" and the next one is "The Good Krabby Name."
- This episode is, however, the only one in which he helps to advertise for the Chum Bucket.
- This episode comes before "No Hat for Pat" because in this episode he's able to work at the Krusty Krab, although in that episode he got fired from that job permanently
- Maybe he was just never allowed to have the hat, but was able to work there, or Mr. Krabs forgot about the events of that episode
- Karen wears a hairnet even though she doesn't have any hair.
- This episode is one of the few where the Chum Bucket starts to attract customers, and Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob try to steal them back. The others are "Greasy Buffoons" and "Plankton's Regular."
- This is the only Chum Bucket episode to use the APM track Chum Bucket Rhumba (title card).
- The "3 Days Later" time card looks just like the "Driven to Tears" title card.
- It even has the same font.
- However, the tire tracks are missing.
- Ultimately, Plankton's customers only eat at the Chum Bucket because of the slogans, and not really for the food.
- The title card is similar to the one for "Krabby Road."
- In "Plankton's Regular," Nat seemed to have gone to the Chum Bucket for the first time. In this episode, he is shown eating here.
- In the Russian dub, When SpongeBob says: "Goofy Goober has gone non-dairy?!", it is translated as "a French chef has boiled Gary?!".
- The title card music is part of the instrumental version of "Oh, My Karen," which premieres in this episode's sister episode, "Single Cell Anniversary."
- At the beginning of the episode, Plankton dances similar to Dead Eye Plankton's dance.
- When Mr. Krabs looks out from his office, there are only two customers, but when he says they have a situation to SpongeBob, there are no customers at the tables.
- Frank has a red shirt when he approaches the counter after the Chum Bucket has a new slogan. The next shot when it zooms to the register, his shirt is blue.
- When the hockey players first heard Plankton talking about his customers in a bad way, there were five of them. However, when they were about to attack Plankton with their hockey sticks, there were only four of them.
- When Patrick was first seen putting up the sign for the Krusty Krab, the hole in the back of his head doesn't appear. When Patrick appears for the last time, the hole is now on at the back of his head.
- When Plankton was stomping on the ripped paper in anger, his head was still messed up. However, in the next shot when Plankton was yelling about how he's tired of the Krusty Krab stealing his customers, his head was suddenly fixed.
- At the end of the episode, when Patrick finishes the point in the exclamation mark in "KRABBY PATTIES ARE FUM!", the ladder he is stepping on is shorter, and he is below the sign. In the next scene, automatically, the ladder is longer, and he is next to the sign.
- When Plankton was going through the Box of Letters, the front door to the Chum Bucket was missing.
- The path to the Chum Bucket seems longer than usual in this episode.
- At the end of the episode, when SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs were in the front of the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket could not be seen.
- In TV airings, when Mr. Krabs says, "A few hours ago, the Chum Bucket was, as it should be, a desolate no-man's land," "bucket" is muted.