"Chatterbox Gary" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eleven. In this episode, Gary has a pet translation collar, and he's talking up a storm. Everyone loves it, except for Squidward.
The episode begins with SpongeBob reading a magazine with Gary in his living room. Gary tries to imply something by constantly meowing. SpongeBob thinks that he wants to be fed or taken for a walk, but Gary actually wants the chatterbox translation collar shown in the magazine.
SpongeBob orders it for him and Gary puts it into effective use by describing his owner and aquaintances. SpongeBob then goes to Squidward's house to show him that Gary can speak using his collar. Gary describes Squidward's art as unappealing and deems him naive. Angered, Squidward wants revenge on Gary for his speeches.
Later at night, Squidward breaks into SpongeBob's bedroom and replaces Gary's collar with a walkie-talkie. Afterwards, Squidward speaks into Gary's collar and pressures SpongeBob with commands like giving him water and taking him to the park at a late time, taking advantage of SpongeBob's tiredness.
SpongeBob's house is then removed from Conch Street's property and goes rolling down the road, forcing SpongeBob to chase after it.
In the morning, SpongeBob and Gary are seen in an empty space where their home used to be and the former cries immensely due to his homelessness. Gary's collar, under the manipulation of Squidward, suggests living in a hole "like an idiot would." SpongeBob then proceeds to dig a hole. During the process, Gary notices Squidward behind a brick wall, using his collar, realizing that Squidward is responsible for the loss of SpongeBob's house.
Gary takes the collar back from him and kicks the walkie-talkie into Squidward's throat, which makes him sound like Gary. This attracts sea worms, who start to go after Squidward. Just then, SpongeBob's house is rolled back into its space.
The episode ends with Squidward being attacked by the worms at the Snail Park.
This episode was confirmed by Vincent Waller on November 3, 2017.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The opening.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Gary points to the magazine.]
‣ Bobmatisme - Achille Alberto Scotti [SpongeBob orders translation collar for Gary.]
‣ World of Fantasy - Gregor Narholz [Collar starts translating what Gary says.]
‣ Rainbow Delights - Magnum Opus ["I dream I'm flying above it all."]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz [Gary throws fire through his mouth to Bikini Bottom.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big, right?"]
‣ Unknown Track 80 - Hot rod shell is shown.
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["How do I look in these pants?"]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob shows Patrick that Gary can talk.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick licks his hand.]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob shows Sandy that Gary can talk.]
‣ ? [Squidward meditating.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob shows Squidward that Gary can talk.
‣ Unknown Track 9 - Squidward shows Gary his art gallery.
‣ Fooling Around - Barry Anthony [Gary criticizes Squidward's art.]
‣ ? [Gary sees the meditation video.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks X - Jeremy Wakefield ["Come on, PapaBob."]
‣ ? [Meditation video again.]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis ["Oh, I will...!"]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Gary go to sleep.]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [Squidward replaces Gary's collar.]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Gary orders SpongeBob water and go to the park.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene.]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Gary return from the park.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob moves his house a block away.]
‣ Unknown Track 21 - "You're right, Gary. The view is nicer over here."
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's house rolls away down the road.]
‣ Invasion - Alfred Ralston [SpongeBob almost falls off the cliff.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Uff... That was close, huh, Gary?"]
‣ Invasion - Alfred Ralston [SpongeBob's house rolls off the cliff.]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob's house rolls away.]
‣ Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crying.]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary notices Squidward using his collar.]
‣ Unknown Track 50 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary throws Squidward's walkie-talkie to his throat.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks IX - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary meowing.]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's house comes back.]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The ending.]
- As of February 16, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 5 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 0.0/10 based on 0 votes.
- This is the first episode to premiere in 2018.
- This episode premiered seven years after "Love That Squid" and "Tunnel of Glove," four years after SpongeBob Comics No. 29 was released, and three years after "Germany 1" and "Germany 2" premiered and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water was released in Azerbaijan, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Portugal, and Russia.
- This is the first episode where Gary speaks full sentences since "Sleepy Time."
- This is the second episode to feature an African-American voice actor, the first being Biz Markie in "Kenny the Cat."
- The artwork on the wall references "Not Normal", "Gone", "Squid's Visit", "A Friendly Game", "Bubble Buddy Returns" "Out of the Picture," "Unreal Estate," and "The Two Faces of Squidward."
- This is the first episode to use Clownfish Capers as the title card music since "Patrick-Man!"
- This episode marks the third physical appearance of Snail-Po. The first is "Missing Identity" and the second is "SpongeBob You're Fired."
- SpongeBob's secret personal diary from "Little Yellow Book" makes another appearance in this episode.
- Squidward's band uniform from "Band Geeks" reappears in his closet.
- The names Gary calls SpongeBob and his friends thanks to the collar:
- SpongeBob - Papa Bob
- Patrick - Stinky Man
- Sandy - Hairy Astronaunt Lady
- Squidward - Grouchy Man
- When Squidward meditates, the wrinkles on his head are gone.