- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Nat Peterson
- Daydream Nat
- Daydream Dale
- Frankie Billy
- Daydream Frankie Billy
- Fred (blue)
- Daydream Fred
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Daydream Ivy
- Norma Rechid
- Fish on the Plate
- Plate Owner (debut)
- French Narrator
- Patrick Star
- Bikini Bottom Construction Company
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Abigail Marge
- Daydream Abigail Marge
- Daydream Gus
- Daydream Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Daydream Miss Rechid
- Daydream Monroe Timmy
- Daydream Sadie
- Daydream Shubie
- Daydream Susie Rechid
- Daydream Tina Fran
- Daydream Nazz-Mimi
- Truck Driver
- Man Ray (cameo on Man Ray Style cover)
- Nathiel Waters
- Future Bikini Bottomites
- Squidward Followers
- Karen Plankton
The episode starts at the Krusty Krab when SpongeBob realizes they are out of tartar sauce, but when he checks the vat, he realizes it is empty and it has been there for 50 years. When Mr. Krabs yells at him to get back to work, SpongeBob explains the situation. Mr. Krabs gets an idea to start a time capsule.
The next scene shows the tartar sauce vat next to a hole with a large stage next to it. A huge line of people are in line to make contributions and Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob and Squidward to handle them while he sells souvenirs. It shows several people making contributions, which Squidward critiques, but SpongeBob finds everything amazing. Mr. Krabs sells cheap souvenirs for outrageous prices. Patrick comes to make a donation of his favorite rock. Believing that this item is too ridiculous for a time capsule, Squidward tries to seize the break from Patrick. The struggle makes the rock fly in the air and it puts the wood behind him, flinging Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick into the time capsule, trapping them in and burying them alive. Mr. Krabs puts a copy of the Krabby Patty secret formula in the capsule, making Plankton interested.
In the time capsule, the three of them imagine what the future would be like until Squidward gets knocked out. Plankton drills into the capsule, hitting the shaving cream that sprays Patrick, which gives him a beard and Patrick sprays SpongeBob and Squidward. Squidward wakes up, thinking it has been 50 years due to the beard, and escapes through the hole Plankton created. The "future" is not what Squidward wanted, so he goes back to the time capsule, unknowingly stepping on the formula bottle on his way back, shoving it inside Plankton.
The episode ends with Plankton constipated with his body shaped like a bottle and him sitting on a toilet, trying to get it out. Karen calls him "poopsy" and Plankton asks for more prunes.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [giant tartar sauce bucket]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [it's empty]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Douglas Gulland ["I thought I'd never see the day."]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [Choir/"Trash? Oh, but, Mr. Krabs, this should be in a museum for future generations to enjoy."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Future generations, huh?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 27 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [time capsule spectacular]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [someone donates a toaster]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob throws it into the time capsule]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs selling souvenirs]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [someone donates a lamp]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Nice pass, Squidward!"]
‣ Boring Morning - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [someone donates a plate]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr ["A four-striped sock!"]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (l) - 2 hours later
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick appears]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["I've allowed some seriously ridiculous items today..."]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["All right, Rocky, you're going bye-bye now."]
‣ Unknown Track 28 - SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward fall into the time capsule
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick finds a yo-yo]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel ["Curse that Krabs and his cheering crowds!"]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [Krabs holds up the Krabby Patty formula]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [Plankton's eye bugs out]
‣ Scherzo Phrenia - Gregor F. Narholz [time capsule is buried]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - Squidward trying to get out
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [everyone cheers]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton laughs evilly]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["What should we do for the next 50 years?"]
‣ Evil Mind 8 - Dick de Benedictis [SpongeBob says they're trapped]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Pretzel Pals]
‣ ? [SpongeBob imagines what the future will be like]
‣ Broadway Dazzle - Peter Dennis [Patrick imagines the future]
‣ In Ancient Times (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward imagines the future]
‣ Sword Fight - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton drilling underground]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Squidward knocked out]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ready or not, here we..."]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nice try, Squidward."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - "Whipped cream!"
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward climbs out of the time capsule]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward goes back underground]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.3/10 based on 88 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7.8/10 based on 6 votes.
- The title card song plays at a lower pitch than usual in this episode.
- There are 22 bubbles on the title card.
- This is the first appearance of the Chum Bucket restrooms.
- The time capsule date had the year of 1960 on it and this episode aired in 2010. In real life, 2010 actually is 50 years after 1960. At the beginning, when SpongeBob sees the date on the time capsule (May 1960), he infers that it has been there for 50 years.
- Since the bottle would have passed through his system by now, Plankton should now have the formula. However, it is unknown if or how he lost the formula. It could have smashed in the toilet and ruined it, or accidentally got flushed. Another possibility would be that Mr. Krabs, suspecting that Plankton might be watching, had left a decoy formula for him in plain sight.
- This is the second episode to show Squidward's house on a crane. The first was "Rule of Dumb."
- There is a painting of Squidward in the time capsule even though everybody hates his art.
- However he could have thrown it in there himself.
- Since Mr. Krabs buried the time capsule in 2010, someone will have to re-open the time capsule in 2060, which is 50 years after 2010.
- Within all the chrome in SpongeBob's future thoughts, it is similar to "SB-129," although it takes 2,000 years after the main event, but "SpongeHenge" contradicts to "SB-129" as well, as 3,000 years after the main event, there is no chrome background.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are playing Pretzel Pals, Patrick says, "Forehead on yellow" when he was actually using the back of his head.
- SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward would have all suffocated in the time capsule within a few days and not 50 years.
- When Squidward is touching his "beard" it does not make sense that he would not notice it is not hair and does not come off on his hands.
- In Indonesia, when Squidward says "There's no way I'm letting you put your dumb rock in the time capsule." and "We just got buried alive, you idiots!," the words "dumb" and "idiots" are muted because the words "dumb," "idiot," "moron," and "stupid" are considered profanity in Indonesia.
- This episode premiered on Dan Povenmire's 47th birthday and 11 years after the premiere of "Culture Shock" and "F.U.N.."
- To date, this is the last episode to play the Chief Taravana track.
- This could be based on the Nickelodeon time capsule that will be opened on April 30, 2042. It was buried in 1992 at the old Nickelodeon Studios at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL. after the closure of the building and remodeling it for the Blue Man Group, it was reburied at the Nickelodeon Suites Hotel in again, Orlando, about 10 or so miles from Universal.
- When SpongeBob dreams of technological future advancements, the teleporting noise is Star Trek's famous "beaming" sound.
- Pretzel Pals is a parody of the game Twister.
- When SpongeBob throws the plate, it breaks, but when they are trapped inside, the plate is back together again.
- The switch on the toaster that was donated was pushed down and did not have a cord.
- In the crowd outside the time capsule, there are multiple identical fish.
- Perch Perkins was listed in the credits for this episode. However, Perch is not seen or heard in this episode.
- When everyone is putting things into the capsule, it is next to the sign, but when Squidward is getting out and in the capsule, it is next to the road.
- Throughout the scenes where fish are putting things into the capsule, the red ribbon which runs from the stand to the Krusty Krab repeatedly disappears and reappears.
- When Mr. Krabs throws the formula in the capsule, the capsule was full to the brim, but when the scene cuts back to SpongeBob and company, it was barely full and seemed to be a lot wider.