- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- Squidward's bonsai
- Frank (red shirt)
- Martha Smith
SynopsisSpongeBob and Patrick are blowing bubbles, but soon they get bored. SpongeBob suggests they "spice up" their bubble blowing. Patrick is struck with an idea and takes out a bottle of hot sauce. He dunks his bubble wand into the bottle and blows a spicy bubbles into SpongeBob's eyes. SpongeBob screams as his eyes glow red and disintegrate, then grow back. Then, he blows a spicy bubble into Patrick's eyes, doing the same thing to him. Patrick wonders if hot sauce is bad for their eyes. Then, they say "Nah" and laugh. They burn each other's eyes repeatedly and the effect goes again.
Meanwhile, in his house, Squidward is clipping his likeness into a bonsai of himself. Just as he is about to clip off a straggler leaf, they scream and he lops off the entire head. The beheaded bonsai requests that Squidward avenges it. Squidward angrily yells at them out the window, but SpongeBob blows a big spicy bubble and it pops next to him, burning him to ashes and crippling him.
SpongeBob and Patrick go to Sandy's treedome, where she is outside fixing an airtank. They tell her about their new discovery, with Patrick convinced he is a genius for his new idea, even thinking he is smarter than Sandy. She tells them she is busy fixing a clog in the airtank. Patrick suggests she breathes water like a "smart person." Sandy explains that land creatures need air. Patrick simply dismisses her as "stupid." SpongeBob tries to help clear the blockage by blowing spicy bubbles onto the airtank, but it melts.
Water rushes into the treedome, filling it completely. Sandy only has a little bit of air left in her suit, so she goes to her submarine, which has enough air to go to the surface and replenish the air supply for her treedome. However, SpongeBob opens the door and water rushes in. Sandy tasks SpongeBob with driving the submarine to the surface, as the low amount of air is making her woozy. As they make their way to the surface, the lack of air in Sandy's suit causes her to act crazy and hallucinate, doing crazy things such as licking Patrick, seeing atoms. and thinking she has spider webs on her face.
When they reach the surface, a delirious Sandy suddenly gets a craving for a Krabby Patty and drives the submarine through the roof of The Krusty Krab. Her suit's air supply is finally depleted and she removes her helmet. She takes a patron's Krabby Patty and eats it, but it's later spat out by SpongeBob pulling her tail. Mr. Krabs appears, wanting to know what is going on, and SpongeBob explains everything.SpongeBob and Patrick try to help Sandy get air and they notice air bubbles from the submarine on the ceiling. SpongeBob uses a line of straws to reach them. Patrick sucks them in, then blows into Sandy's mouth. SpongeBob suggests Mr. Krabs might have air in him, telling him Squidward says he is "full of hot air" (which Squidward nervously denies). Mr. Krabs says he indeed has an air bubble or two and pulls in his eyestalks so Sandy can breathe them in. Pearl comes in and SpongeBob suggests she could help give air to Sandy because she is a mammal, just like Sandy. Pearl agrees, saying "I guess we mammals gotta stick together."
Sandy puts her mouth over Pearl's blowhole, and Pearl exhales, inflating her like a balloon. SpongeBob figures he can go to the surface and fill a bubble with air. Using an oxygen tank (which neither of them realizes could be used to help Sandy), he rockets to the surface, covers himself with bubble soap, and inhales to create a giant air-filled bubble, then he puts it into the treedome.
Sandy wakes up in the treedome with SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob explains that he saved her with bubbles and she remembers that it was bubbles which caused all the trouble in the first place. Sandy tells them not to blow bubbles around her treedome anymore, but it turns out SpongeBob already blew one giant bubble around it, which lifts it away.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [opening]
‣ ? [Squidward's bonsai portrait]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob and Patrick scream]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward cries]
‣ Death Clock (e) - Dick de Benedictis [bonsai talks to Squidward]
‣ ? ["Avenge me!"]
‣ Unknown Track 66 - "SpongeBob!!!..."
‣ Croc Bait - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick still blowing bubbles]
‣ Comic Capers (b) - Charlie Brissette, Norman Mamey [giant hot sauce bubble]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward disintegrates]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick go to Sandy's treedome]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [air lines melt]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oops."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [The submarine fills with water.]
‣ Unknown Track 21 - "I'm far too dizzy already."
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob driving the submarine]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phil Green [Sandy is losing it]
‣ Chasing Dragons - Assaf Rinde [Sandy drives the submarine to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Sandy runs out of air]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr ["Well, okay."]
‣ Excited Chase 1 - Phil Green [air bubbles on ceiling]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Sandy turning blue]
‣ Excited Chase 1 - Phil Green [Patrick sucking air bubbles]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["I say what?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Pearl enters]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Fantasy Caper 2 - Paul Lawler ["I'm going to the surface to get some air."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["An oxygen tank?!"]
‣ Beyond the Galaxy - Larry Hochman [SpongeBob blows a giant bubble on the surface]
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- As of September, 2014, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of /10 based on ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.1/10 based on 30 votes.
- Irony: SpongeBob could have just used the oxygen tank on Sandy instead of using it to get air bubbles for Sandy.
- The title card is the needle stack from "Prehibernation Week."
- This is the second episode where Sandy needs more than just an air helmet to breathe. The first is "Pressure," where she attempts to use a pickle jar as a makeshift helmet.
- This is also the second time Sandy takes off her helmet underwater by choice, however this is the first time she does it when her suit actually ran out of oxygen. The first time being in "Pressure."
- This is also the first time that it is shown that Sandy's suit has an oxygen gauge on it.
- It is also the only time an air supply is shown to be connected to Sandy's treedome.
- This episode premiered five years after "That's No Lady."
- This is the third episods where someone's house is inside a bubble. The first is "Bubblestand" and the second is "Rodeo Daze."
- The German title of this episode is "Verschärfte Bläschen" or "Tense Bubbles."
- This episode premiered on the same day as "The Way of the Sponge," "The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom," and "Bubble Buddy Returns."
- Mediacom and some other TV services list this episode as "Bubble Trouble."
- The bubble Patrick blew goes into Sandy's treedome, but when Sandy is revived, the bubble appears on the outside.
- Sandy turns the wrench counterclockwise, but the nut is getting tighter instead of looser.
- When the bubble goes inside the dome, the hole of the air tank is missing.
- Despite Squidward calling his trimmed plant a bonsai, it is, in fact, a topiary. A bonsai is a miniaturized tree, while a topiary is a shrub, bush, or tree trimmed in a certain shape (in this case, Squidward's head).