"Bubble Buddy" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season two. In this episode, SpongeBob creates a bubble friend.
As every day is a holiday for SpongeBob, he wakes up wearing a Viking costume and proclaims it to be Leif Erikson Day. He then goes outside to celebrate with his friends, but finds notes at the houses of Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward notifying that they cannot, or will not, play with him. SpongeBob decides to, literally, make a new friend, and after several failed attempts, he blows a bubble figure whom he names Bubble Buddy.
The two go to the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob orders everything on the menu for Bubble Buddy. However, SpongeBob makes several specifications on Bubble Buddy's behalf that Squidward is forced to bend over backward to accommodate. After the meal, Bubble Buddy pays with "bubble-money," which quickly pops and infuriates Squidward and Mr. Krabs.
SpongeBob and Bubble Buddy next go to the Goo Lagoon, where they continue to cause trouble with their benign antics: holding up the restroom, causing misunderstandings, and leaving one fish to face high tide. Eventually, the beach-goers become fed up and begin to riot, even tipping over the lifeguard tower. Squidward steps in and blames SpongeBob and the bubble he has created, causing the mob to direct their efforts towards popping Bubble Buddy. They surround SpongeBob and Bubble Buddy, brandishing sewing needles and chanting their intent to pop the bubble. SpongeBob tries to escape by inflating Bubble Buddy, but he fails to fly away from the crowd's grasp. SpongeBob implores them to realize that Bubble Buddy is his special friend, prompting the crowd to remember similar friends of their own.
Unfortunately, this is not enough to change their minds. As the crowd throws SpongeBob out of the way, Squidward brings down his needle. All of a sudden, Bubble Buddy comes to life and catches Squidward's arm before the needle reaches him, much to the shock of everyone except SpongeBob. Bubble Buddy informs SpongeBob that "things are getting a little weird around here," and departs in a bubble taxi, floating into the sky and wishing SpongeBob a Happy Leif Erikson Day. The majority of the crowd, satisfied, leaves to go on with their lives. SpongeBob happily cries for his friend blowing up so fast before leaving in a flurry of bubbles. All but one of them pop, and Squidward, left behind in a daze, awkwardly greets it.
‣ Surfin' Fun
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Grahame Maclean, Barry Ryder [title card]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [opening]
‣ Salute to the King (c) - Paddy Kingsland ["Hey, everybody! It's Leif Ericsson Day!"]
‣ Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [everyone's busy]
‣ The Land is Ours - Gregor F. Narholz ["Bubble Buddy!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [exterior of Krusty Krab]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob introduces Bubble Buddy to Squidward]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs pops out of cash register]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench [Krabs tattoos himself]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [Squidward serves shampoo]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [one of everything]
‣ Carousel Ride - Derek Holt [carnival style]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [bubble money]
‣ Shock (c) - Dave Hewson [Squidward and Krabs furious]
‣ Surfin' Fun - Grahame Maclean, Barry Ryder [SpongeBob takes Bubble Buddy to Goo Lagoon/People still waiting for the bathroom]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["He kept us waiting for a bubble?"]
‣ Dangerous C - Mladen Franko ["He owes me money!"]
‣ Heavenly Voices (b) - David Farnon [Scooter's ghost floats up]
‣ Killer on the Run A - Gregor F. Narholz [everyone tips the lifeguard stand/Everyone go to the lifeguard/Everyone holds a needle]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [everyone surrounding SpongeBob with needles/SpongeBob screams.]
‣ Thrill Ride - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob temporarily escapes]
‣ Hawaiian Breeze - Jon Jelmer ["He's not just a bubble, he's a Bubble Buddy."]
‣ Fight the Beast! - Gregor F. Narholz ["Pop the bubble! Pop the bubble!"/Everyone gasp]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- As of September 9, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 436 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 178 votes.
- "Bubble Buddy" was ranked #23 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006. Coincidentally, this is the production number for this episode.
- The music heard during this episode's title card and opening credits was later used as theme music for the "Nicktoons Summer Beachhouse," which ran during the summers of 2002 and 2003.
- Leif Erikson Day is actually a real holiday. It is celebrated on October 9.
- This episode premiered in Canada on March 23, 2001.
- The troubles SpongeBob and Bubble Buddy cause are:
- Giving Mr. Krabs "bubble money."
- Making Squidward "provide excellent service."
- Having Scooter die from the causes of a high tide.
- Keeping the citizens waiting for two hours for Bubble Buddy to finish using the Port-O-Head.
- Making Pearl cry because he washes the dirty mark from her flipper given by Grubby Grouper.
- Having the Bikini Bottomites think their butts were "fat." (SpongeBob said “Shake that bubble butt”)
- Scooter apparently "dies" and goes to Heaven in this episode, though re-appears in later episodes alive and well due to the show's inconsistent continuity.
- In Indonesia, Sandy's note is narrated by SpongeBob instead of Sandy herself.
- The line Tom says "He delivered a plague onto our houses" references a scene in Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet where Mercutio says "I am hurt, a plague on both your houses!"
- When SpongeBob looks at the menu for the Krusty Krab, one of the foods mentioned is the Quarter Ouncer Double Pounder. This is a parody of the McDonald's burger the Double Quarter Pounder.
- When SpongeBob grabs onto Bubble Buddy and almost escapes, the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" theme plays.
- The captions cut off too early at several points in the episode, and sometimes only stay on for a split second before disappearing. This is also the case with its sister episode.
- In this episode, Chuck Klein's surname is spelled wrong in the opening credits with the I and E reversed.
- During the scene with the menu, the prices are gone.
- When Squidward gives Bubble Buddy a Krabby Patty, there is no cheese inside it. When SpongeBob is about to look in the Krabby Patty, there is cheese inside it.
- After Squidward is done with every way Bubble Buddy prefers his patties, he says says that the bun on the Krabby Patties has no crust, but there is clearly crust on the buns.
- Bubble Buddy goes to the bathroom, but he's with SpongeBob in the scene where he says "Shake that bubble butt!," and then he's back in the bathroom.
- When Bubble Buddy is in the bathroom, several fish are waiting in line, but when SpongeBob and Bubble Buddy leave, only about ten fish are in line.
- When Francis says that SpongeBob kept them waiting for a bubble, there is a black whale in the line, but when Larry says that he called him fat, the whale is next to Larry.
- Evelyn has sunglasses that repeatedly disappear and reappear throughout the episode.