- Squidward Tentacles
- Happy Gland (debut)
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Abigail Marge
- Debbie Rechid
- Frankie Billy
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Jimmy Gus
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Nat Peterson
- Nathiel Waters
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Norma Rechid
- Susie Rechid
SpongeBob and Patrick are at Squidward's house to watch the sunrise with him. After Squidward finds out that they have snuck into his room every morning to celebrate holidays like Easter, Valentine's Day, and the Fourth of July, it is told that his brain has a thunder storm every time Squidward sees SpongeBob. His Happy Gland is forced to find shelter in his mind's recesses. But he gets the flu due to no recess deep enough, until the two leave. "Three hours later," sunrise reaches, and the camera cuts to Squidward putting an electric fence around his house to separate the two. He tricks them into picnicking on a catapult, which he uses to fling them out of the fence. They surprisingly return, wanting to be catapulted again, resulting in Squidward asking them to exit causing him into touching the doorknob of his fence, being electrocuted. It turns out that Squidward's brain storm has gone away, and a rainbow replaces it, thus making Squidward nice.
This continues on for the rest of the day, and even continues through the morning, such as waking SpongeBob up for work and flossing his teeth for him.
At work, SpongeBob is surprised to see Squidward enter the kitchen, saying that he wanted to help SpongeBob work. SpongeBob promptly rejects this, and Squidward is called out front by Mr. Krabs. He gives Susie a free hat, then asks for free refills. This shocks Mr. Krabs, who either calls cheap food or back into the kitchen he goes. Squidward returns to the
kitchen, even making a fresh batch of Krabby Patties, but SpongeBob rejects them, calling them "no good." He is stopped by Mr. Krabs when throwing them away, when he finds out Squidward has become a fry cook. Squidward says he wishes he could be employee of the month, SpongeBob already being employee of the month a gazillion times, but SpongeBob corrects him, saying a gazillion and six times. Mr. Krabs then barges in and shows SpongeBob a patty with a smiley face and dimples made out of ketchup. SpongeBob said that Squidward made it, and Mr. Krabs loves the design and makes Squidward employee of the month, much to SpongeBob's horror. Patrick even arrives with a cake for the employee of the month award winner, which SpongeBob erases his name on the cake and replaces it with Squidward's.
Later, a party is thrown at Patrick's house due to Squidward being the new employee of the month. SpongeBob enrages after realizing that Squidward is pogo-dancing with Patrick, and ends up yelling at him and making him exit the party. Squidward attempts to enter his house again, but like earlier, he is electrocuted due to touching the doorknob. SpongeBob and Patrick come for SpongeBob to apologize for his behavior to Squidward, and SpongeBob slaps Squidward's hand, leading SpongeBob to get electrocuted. Patrick joins too, saying "he wants to dance funny". The generator explodes and Squidward is returned to his grumpy old self, but SpongeBob and Patrick's behavior change to Squidward's usual behavior as well and they get into an argument with him ending the episode.
These are the storyboards of deleted scenes of this episode's original airing. They all can be found on the episode's animatic on Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD release.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick in Squidward's room]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward furious]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [storm clouds in Squidward's brain]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [three hours later]
‣ William Tell Overture - Gioacchino A. Rossini [sunrise]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward putting up electric fence]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [SpongeBob and Patrick catapulted out/SpongeBob and Patrick land inside the fence area]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward electrocuted]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [rainbow in Squidward's brain]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Squidward wants to go to the petting zoo]
‣ Cherish the Love - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [montage of SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward together]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [the next morning]
‣ Boy Scout - Harold Smart [Squidward helping SpongeBob with things]
‣ ? [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Spring Cleaning [#5] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["How are we today? Everything a-okay here?"]
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [little kid crying]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney ["FREE?!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Squidward in the kitchen]
‣ Steel Sting (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's eyes fall out]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward sees SpongeBob's Employee of the Month awards]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["A smiley face with dimples?"]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["AAAH!! DIMPLES?!?!"]
‣ Blaze of Brass (d) - Cecil Milner [Squidward's is new Employee of the Month]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick enters]
‣ For Hes a Jolly Good Fellow - Harry Bluestone [everyone cheers for Squidward]
‣ Unknown Track 30 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [transition to next scene]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [party at Patrick's house]
‣ Fates [#61.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob chews out Squidward]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [Squidward leaves Patrick's house]
‣ Puka B - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob apologizes to Squidward, who lets bygones be bygones]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob get electrocuted with Squidward]
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom Adventures, Season 5 Volume 1, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.6/10 based on 145 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.5/10 based on 142 votes.
- This episode aired in Germany on June 7, 2007, before it aired in the USA.
- The Nickelodeon and DirecTV schedules list this episode as "Breath of a Fresh Squidward."
- A scene involving Sadie talking to Susie was cut. It was probably deleted because of the mother talking to her daughter about her life and her baby (birds and bees talk), it being irrelevant to the plot and due to the fact that Sadie is not Susie's mother. The part was retained on the animatic on Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD release.
- On one scene where SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward had fun together was similar to the montage in "My Pretty Seahorse" when SpongeBob and Mystery had fun.
- This episode reveals there is an employee bathroom in the Krusty Krab kitchen.
- The bathroom for boys is spelled "Buoys." This is a pun on the flotation devices.
- In "Employee of the Month," Squidward competed with SpongeBob to win the coveted title. However, it was unknown who won in that episode. This time, he earns it without even trying.
- When Squidward made the Krabby Patty with dimples, he became employee of the month on the spot.
- Patrick's Employee of the Month cake is entirely fixed after SpongeBob replaced his own name on the cake with Squidward's. An icing drawing of SpongeBob is still on the cake even though he wasn't the winner of the award.
- The party hat (which is yellow/pink), looks like the Beta Tester Hat from Disney's Club Penguin online world.
- SpongeBob shows some audacity in bossing Squidward around in someone else's home (Patrick's). In telling Squidward he was not allowed to pogo with Patrick, he was more or less telling Patrick what he could and couldn't do in his own home.
- This episode was probably meant to show SpongeBob how irritating he can be to Squidward as the latter did actions similar to him.
- Oddly, the guests don't seem to be disgusted with SpongeBob's outburst at Squidward, as the party continues after Squidward leaves.
- This is the first time Squidward has become "Employee of the Month." Usually, SpongeBob is the employee of the month as seen in "Employee of the Month."
- This is the second time that SpongeBob and Patrick were Squidward, at the ending to this. The first was "Opposite Day." However, the difference is that SpongeBob and Patrick were shocked into being Squidward after feeling the shock through Squidward. In "Opposite Day." SpongeBob and Patrick only pretend to be Squidward.
- This episode premiered four years after "Gary Takes a Bath" premiered and 1 year after "New Leaf" premiered in Australia.
- This is the 25th episode appearance of Sandals.
- This is the 50th episode appearance of Gus and Shubie.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Veseli Marko" translating to "Happy Squidward."
- It is unknown how SpongeBob and Patrick went back to normal.
- This episode marks the third time SpongeBob had any anger or tension towards Squidward. The first was in "Employee of the Month," and the second was in "Can You Spare a Dime?"
- The title is a reference to the famous saying, "A breath of fresh air." This famous saying means that after several bad events, a good event finally happens, which basically fits along the episode's plot line.
- The "new glasses" joke in this episode is probably borrowed from The Simpsons episode "Bart's Girlfriend." For details of the transcript similarities, see this YouTube video of the two similar scenes.
- The smiley face Krabby Patty is a parody of the Smiley cookies at Eat'n Park, a Denny's competitor in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area.
- This episode may be a reference to the Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi episode "Ami Ami" because both main characters get zapped and become happy.
- When the new Squidward showed SpongeBob the Krabby Patties he made, SpongeBob tells him that it takes years to practice. Revealed in "Friend or Foe," Baby SpongeBob made a perfect patty on his first try, meaning he probably just made it up so Squidward would not work as another fry cook.
- In the scene where both SpongeBob and Squidward were making Krabby Patties on the grill, it accidentally shows two frying grills in the kitchen instead of one. It is possible Mr. Krabs might have brought another one for Squidward to help SpongeBob make Krabby Patties.
- Because there are 44 awards, it should be August or September, not February.
- When SpongeBob is eating cake, the hat he is wearing changes stripe colors. First it is red on the bottom, then it is white.
- In the episode "Squid's Visit," Patrick said that Squidward only went to his house to take back some stuff that he borrowed, but in this episode, he went to the party at Patrick's house. It is most likely that this episode took place after "Squid's Visit."
- When Squidward has an electric shock, the gate's door is open. But when the new Squidward is sad and is going home, the door is closed.
- There is a plot hole; after the fence initially shocks Squidward altering his personality, it blows a gasket and the security system breaks down. This would logically mean that Squidward couldn't possibly have been shocked back to normal at the end.
- At the ending, when SpongeBob and Patrick were electrocuted to become cranky and grumpy as Squidward, their eyes, nose adapted to Squidward's face, but when Squidward became the new Squidward, his face did not change the shape of them.