"Bossy Boots" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season two. In this episode, Pearl gets a job at the Krusty Krab.
At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs is holding a meeting with his employees, informing them that his daughter Pearl is going to be working at the Krusty Krab during her summer vacation and that she has lots of new ideas to improve the restaurant. Squidward does not like the idea of being told what to do by a teenager, and he and SpongeBob agree to stand up to her to protect their jobs.
Pearl soon arrives and SpongeBob's resolution quickly crumbles, adoring the flamboyant new uniform Pearl gives them. After exchanging many ideas, Pearl and SpongeBob agree to turn the Krusty Krab into "The Kuddly Krab," and re-purpose the restaurant into a hip café, all with Mr. Krabs' blessing.
Squidward remains the only holdout and shakes the newly-designed sign in frustration. Two passersby are surprised the Krusty Krab is seemingly gone and, thinking Squidward is a woman, ask him where's a place to eat. Enraged, Squidward quits on the spot and rips off his costume, only for a police officer to write him up and stick the ticket on him as a loincloth.
The Kuddly Krab quickly becomes a hit with the teenage crowd. SpongeBob is told to make a salad, which he has never heard of, so he makes a Krabby Patty and shows it to Pearl. Disgusted, she tells him to take off the buns and the patty, leaving only tomatoes and lettuce. Upon returning to the kitchen, SpongeBob is horrified to see that his stove is gone. Pearl explains to him that Krabby Patties are no longer "hip," and that they now serve only tea and salad. SpongeBob is then given a humiliating mascot costume to wear out front, which finally drives him to complain to Mr. Krabs.
Despite putting on a brave face, Mr. Krabs admits that the renovations are indeed causing the restaurant to lose money. He agrees that Pearl has to be let go, but can't bring himself to actually fire his own daughter, and decides SpongeBob shall do it in his place ("It's okay if she hates you!"). When SpongeBob calls Pearl into the kitchen, dreading what he has to do, Pearl starts crying and reveals the truth: she hates working at the Krusty Krab, has been trying to get herself fired from the beginning, and was only pretending to like the job to please her father. Upon hearing this, SpongeBob hatches a plan to stage Pearl being fired outside of Mr. Krabs' office.
As Mr. Krabs listens in to the exchange, he debates with himself whether he should allow it to happen. The sight of his empty safe finally convinces him to let SpongeBob get on with it, but with the words, "Pearl, you're fired," the strain on Mr. Krabs' heart knocks him out cold. Pearl thanks SpongeBob for letting her go and kisses him on the cheek before dashing off to the mall with her friends. SpongeBob enters Mr. Krabs' office to report his success, only to find him passed out on the floor. After being revived with a twenty dollar bill, Mr. Krabs laments what's been done to Pearl, but SpongeBob assures him that she's happy with her life outside of the family business. However, Mr. Krabs does not know how to get his money back for the Kuddly Krab's decorations, so SpongeBob happily takes them all home in exchange for one year's salary which makes Gary sad for some reason.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [title card]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [opening]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench ["The new spatulas are here!"]
‣ Family Tales (h) - Peter Balding, Otto Sieben [teaching Pearl how to breach]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Hello? Daddy!"]
‣ Heavy Footsteps (a) - Paddy Kingsland ["SpongeBob, do you realize what this means?"]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White ["Say hello to me Pearl!"]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [new Krusty Krew uniform]
‣ Orchestral Ending (d) - Dick Stephen Walter ["This is the greatest uniform ever!"]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, SpongeBob, you look so adorable."]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Squidward wearing the new uniform]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Me? Really?"]
‣ Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick [coming up with new names for the Krusty Krab]
‣ Short Fanfare [#29.02] - Alfred Kluten [The King Krab]
‣ Conga [#61] - Sammy Burdson [The Kool Krab]
‣ Steel Guitar Rag - Herbert Wallace [The Kowboy Krab]
‣ Slipping Over - Dave Rogers, Paul Shaw [The Kurly Krab]
‣ Shock - Cornelus Joh Bolten [The Kreepy Krab]
‣ Shock Horror (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [The Killer Krab]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [The Kuddly Krab]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward rips the uniform off]
• Bossy Boots - The Capsules [inside the Kuddly Krab]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter ["Okay, no buns."]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko [the grill's gone]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob in a crab costume]
‣ Stiff Upper Lip - Paddy Kingsland ["I'm a fry cook, darn it!"]
‣ Kids Up and Go (b) - Steve Sidwell [inside Krabs' office]
‣ What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor - Okko Bekker [sea unicorn wall hangers]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["It's losing money!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["That's it, boy!"]
• Bossy Boots - The Capsules ["...I'll wait in me office."]
‣ Vibe Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["How am I gonna break it to her?"]
‣ Island Romance - Jan Rap [Pearl cries]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter ["I've got it!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [later...]
‣ Action Cut (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob pretending to fire Pearl]
• Bossy Boots - The Capsules ["Come on, gang, the mall waits!"]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Hawaiian Breeze - Jon Jelmer ["How could we have done such a thing to me own flesh and blood?"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Bossy Boots - The Capsules [ending]
- As of August 14, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 188 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 176 votes.
- "Bossy Boots" was ranked #93 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode was originally called "Working Pearl," but was later changed to the final title. Comcast still lists the original title but this has been fixed, and DirecTV originally used it too, but it was soon fixed. During the Best Day Ever marathon, it was referred to by its original title by Patchy the Pirate.
- The working title is most likely a reference to the film Working Girl.
- All-caps captioning ceased until the Best Day Ever marathon when they went back to all-caps captioning. However, every episode from "Help Wanted" to this had text in explanation brackets in non-caps to make it stand out, and then, as of "Best Day Ever," the text in explanation brackets are in all-caps. These days, when it comes to captioning on "SpongeBob," the captions don't put text in explanation brackets in all-caps to make it stand out.
- This episode marks the first time that the Krusty Krab grill is removed from the kitchen.
- This episode marks the first time that Nancy Suzy Fish is seen without lipstick or nostrils. However, in one scene, she does have nostrils.
- This is the second episode to feature Chrome. The first is "SB-129."
- The ideas Pearl and SpongeBob come up for the new Krusty Krab are:
- Pearl: The Kutie Krab
- Pearl: The Kooky Krab
- SpongeBob: The Khaotic Krab
- Pearl: The Kissy Krab
- SpongeBob: The King Krab
- Pearl: The Kandy Krab
- SpongeBob: The Kool Krab
- SpongeBob: The Kowboy Krab
- SpongeBob: The Kurly Krab
- SpongeBob: The Kreepy Krab
- SpongeBob: The Killer Krab
- Both: The Kuddly Krab
- When Jimmy Gus drives by SpongeBob and then insults him, he inadvertently insults himself: by saying, "... I was just on my way to the big doofus convention!" he implies that he will be attending as a doofus as well.
- Pearl's idea of The Kissy Krab has the word "Kissy" in the title that would later be referenced in a character's name (the Kissing Fish) in the animated film Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss, which came out 6 years after this episode aired.
- Both SpongeBob and Squidward have seniority in this episode. Therefore, this episode must take place after "SpongeBob You're Fired" because Squidward couldn't get fired, as he had seniority, unlike SpongeBob in that episode.
- The image of SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward with mustaches is featured on the protective case of The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom. Squidward's head appears on a different part of the case.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Nowa szefowa," which translates to "The New Manageress."
- Also, in the Croatian dub, the episode's title is "Nova šefica," which translates to "The New Manageress."
- This episode and "Something Smells" are the first episodes to not appear in chronological episode number order. Instead of airing after "Your Shoe's Untied"/"Squid's Day Off," which would be chronologically in order of episode number, it had first aired after "Hooky"/"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II."
- When Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob and Squidward to get to his office, in the end, there is the noise that a walkie talkie or electronic megaphone makes before and after one talks into it. However, Mr. Krabs uses a non-electronic megaphone.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward are in Mr. Krabs' office, his door has a porthole window, but when he leaves and they're shaking hands, the porthole is gone and there's a life ring instead.
- When Squidward is outside after SpongeBob and Pearl go inside, a car is seen beside Krusty Krab. When Squidward shakes the Kuddly Krab sign, it disappears.
- The "K"s on Mr. Krabs new uniform are rounded, but when it zooms into the scene of him lying on the floor, they are straight.
- When Pearl says "SpongeBob, order up!," the closed-captions read "Order up!"
- SpongeBob's sleeves are gone during one shot of the new menu.
- When SpongeBob says "No patties," he removes the bottom bun from the patty instead and removes the actual patty when he says "happenin'."
- When SpongeBob enters the Kuddly Krab office, the sea unicorn has a horn, but when Mr. Krabs points it out, the horn is gone. It then returns when Mr. Krabs cries on his desk.
- When SpongeBob is in Mr. Krabs' office, he says, "Sure Mr. Krabs, but I've got some bad news," captions read "I've got some bad news."
- When SpongeBob bumps into Pearl, her eyes are black.
- When SpongeBob walks into the kitchen to fire Pearl, on a close-up on his face, he is missing his K's on his uniform.
- When SpongeBob knocks on Mr. Krabs' metal office door, the knock sounds like a knock from a wooden door instead of a metal door.
- In one of the final shots, SpongeBob's house is shown, but not Squidward's house next-door.
- In some of the closed-captioning, "Krabby Patty" is written as "Crabby Patty."
- Mr. Krabs' blue stress toy is on his desk before SpongeBob comes over. When SpongeBob comes over and the view zooms out, his stress toy is gone.
- In some scenes, Squidward's eyelids go back to the seafoam color they were in season 1 rather than the teal they had become in season 2.