"Born to Be Wild" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season four. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick think that vicious bikers are coming to Bikini Bottom.
The episode begins with SpongeBob jellyfishing. He tells a jellyfish to stay off the road because it's dangerous. Some men on motorcycles drive past him, and SpongeBob holds on to one of the men's jackets, ripping an 'M' off of the jacket. He looks at the jacket when he has to let go of it. He presumes it says "The ild Ones," but he soon notices the "W" in his hand and figures out that they are called "The Wild Ones." After an odd fish pops from the ground and tells him about "The Wild Ones," SpongeBob runs to tell Mr. Krabs (actually, SpongeBob "takes the shortcut, which is a piggyback ride on a bubble).
He does not listen, so he tells Patrick. Then, Mr. Krabs puts up a banner reading 'WELCOME WILD ONES!' on the Krusty Krab and raises his prices in order to get them to eat there after hearing SpongeBob described them as "ravenous."
After Patrick says that if they dressed up like bikers, they would be the big scary bikers, SpongeBob and Patrick decide to dress in biker attire and ride into town on a paddle-unicycle and a paddle-tricycle, respectively. After the bikers arrive at the Krusty Krab, it turns out that they are old folks.
The actual name of the biker gang is revealed to be 'The Mild Ones.' SpongeBob had the "M" upside-down. The biker that had the "M" ripped off of his jacket gets his "M" back from SpongeBob, and The Mild Ones ride away. Shortly after this, it is revealed that Squidward decided to join with them.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Barbecue Beach - Martin Busca, Thomas Klein [title card]
‣ Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob jellyfishing]
‣ Barbecue Beach - Martin Busca, Thomas Klein ["The -ild Ones. That's a strange name."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm, W."]
‣ Old 49er - Nicolas Carr [hillbilly warns SpongeBob about The Wild Ones]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko ["Bloodthirsty bikers?!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [shortcut]
‣ Finger of Fear - Fredric Bayco [SpongeBob barricading the door]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ravenous, did you say?"]
‣ Dingles Regatta - Brian Peters [biker decor]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Barbecue Beach - Martin Busca, Thomas Klein [bikers heading toward Bikini Bottom]
‣ Drama Link (e) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob warns Squidward]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I know just what you should do."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward kicks SpongeBob]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob warns Patrick]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [they panic]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [clam spits SpongeBob and Patrick out]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick get launched into some kelp]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [lawnmower]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick scream]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Say that again, Patrick."]
‣ Twang Bar Blues 1 - Steve Byrd [SpongeBob and Patrick dressed as bikers]
‣ Jovial Jack - Philippe Pares [riding unicycles]
‣ Steel Sting (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, it's working."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ The Sword of Damocles - Jack Beaver [montage of SpongeBob overreacting]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["SpongeBob, you always overreact to everything!"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [bikers arrive]
‣ Hilo March - Jan Rap [ending]
- As of January 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.1/10 based on 182 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 133 votes.
- This episode aired in Germany on November 18, 2006, before it aired in the USA.
- This episode premiered in Poland on February 10, 2017, which is nearly 10 years since it premiered in the US.
- This marks the 150th episode segment of the series.
- The first day when this episode and "Best Frenemies" premiered in the United States, it was rated TV-Y. Later airings are rated TV-Y7 as the show is nowadays.
- When SpongeBob takes the shortcut, he breaks the fourth wall by riding the bubble transition.
- Patrick is seen wearing his Goofy Goober underwear from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- This episode contains the second Goofy Goober reference outside of the first movie. The first was the Goofy Goober back scratcher in "Chimps Ahoy."
- This is the second episode where a shortcut to the Krusty Krab is shown, the first being "Wormy."
- This is the third episode where that the letters W and M are switched around, the first being "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV" and the second being "No Weenies Allowed."
- SpongeBob's biker outfit consists of:
- A red and white striped long sleeved top
- A denim waistcoat
- Brown work boots
- And a round helmet with a spike and a skull.
- His bike is his paddle-unicycle (which was mostly seen in few episodes).
- Patrick's biker outfit consists of:
- A yellow-ish t-shirt
- A black leather jacket with a high collar
- Blue denim shorts with a big belt with a skull on it
- And a black cap.
- His bike is a paddle-tricycle.
- In Indonesia, he says leather pants first, then leather hats.
- In Germany, this episode is titled "Wilde Jungs," which translates to "Wild Boys."
- The Greek title for this episode is "οι άγριοι," which translates to "The wilds."
- The Arabic title for this episode is "الآحاد البرية" (alahad albaria: El-ah-had-u Dor-rrea-do), which translates to "Wild Ones."
- Old Man Jenkins is one of The Mild Ones.
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD box set before it aired on TV in the USA.
- This is the second episode to show blood. The first is "Dying for Pie."
- This is the last episode to use the APM track Grass Skirts Blowing.
- The title of this episode is a reference to the song "Born to Be Wild" from the film Easy Rider.
- The title of this episode is a reference to the Warner Bros. film Born to Be Wild, which came out on March 31, 1995, exactly 12 years before this episode premiered.
- The title is also based on GMA longtime television series Born to be Wild.
- Coincidentally, the episode title is similar to an episode of Squirrel Boy called "Born to be Mild," but in this SpongeBob SquarePants episode, a group of a motorcycle gang is named "The Mild Ones."
- SpongeBob and Patrick's attire were inspired by the 1953 film The Wild One.
- When SpongeBob barricades the Krusty Krab's front door with the cash register station, Squidward is sitting in the boat. However, a moment later SpongeBob finds Squidward at home when he rushes to Squidward's house to warn him of the biker gang. It is possible Squidward went home in between these scenes.
- In addition, Squidward would've already heard about the biker gang because he was in the boat. So, SpongeBob didn't have to go to Squidward's house afterwards.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are broken apart into pieces, Patrick is shown to be several smaller stars. However, it is impossible that they could all form to make him again, as decagons do not tessellate.
- When the Mild Ones are driving around Squidward, when the viewer watches it in slow motion, they can see that the men's jackets say "Mile Ones" instead of "Mild Ones."
- Right before SpongeBob says "we walk the walk," if the viewer pauses at the right moment, one can see that the whites in SpongeBob's eyes have turned completely yellow.