- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs (mentioned)
- Highway Speed Patrol officer
- Mrs. Puff
- Debbie Rechid
- Frankie Billy
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Ivy (normal; light green)
- Jimmy Gus
- Tina Fran
- Tough guy
- Nathiel Waters
- Cowboy fish (debut)
SpongeBob is brushing Gary when he hears a strange noise. He goes outside to investigate, only to find out that it's just Squidward breathing. Squidward then tells SpongeBob that he will pay him five dollars if he gives him peace and quiet for the rest of the day. However, Squidward already gave SpongeBob five dollars to leave him alone yesterday. He gets annoyed, so Squidward begins walking away. He then finds out that
SpongeBob is following him, so he starts running and he jumps onto his boat. However, he can't find the keys and then SpongeBob arrives at Squidward's boat. Squidward then becomes furious, only to find out that SpongeBob wanted to give him his keys. Squidward drives away and literally drives through a stop sign. He gets pulled over by a police man, telling him that he needs to go to boating school.
After that, the scene changes to Squidward walking up to Mrs. Puff's Boating School and once he opens the door, he sees SpongeBob and then starts to cry. During class, Squidward is forced to sit next to SpongeBob. Then Mrs. Puff asks Squidward why he is enrolled in Boating School, so he tells everyone in the class while SpongeBob heavily breathes during this, annoying Squidward. After, Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob to illustrate his side of the story, but SpongeBob just draws a picture with him and Squidward saying "SpongeBob and Squidward, Best Boating Buddies Forever" on the chalkboard.Later, it is lunchtime and Squidward tries to avoid SpongeBob. He then decides to eat in the bathroom, where he is beaten up. He arrives back in class with SpongeBob, and Mrs. Puff tells him that he has to drive with SpongeBob for a test. So they get inside a boat and SpongeBob is the driver. However, he drives out of control and crashes into a research lab. There, he, Squidward, and Mrs. Puff shrink and get washed down the drain. SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff end up in a water fountain back at Mrs. Puff's Boating School, while Squidward ends up in the bathroom and gets beat up again.
The scene changes to everyone back in class. Mrs. Puff explains that everyone is going to do a test. But when SpongeBob tries to help him, Squidward snaps at him exclaiming that they aren't "Boating Buddies" and he never wants help from him ever again. SpongeBob's feelings are hurt. However, Squidward can't do the test because he can't pick up the pencil, so he asks for SpongeBob's help; when the sponge reminds him of what he said, Squidward denies it, only for his voice to have been recorded by another student. Finally, when Squidward admits that he and SpongeBob are "Boating Buddies," SpongeBob cheers. But time runs out and Squidward asks Mrs. Puff what to do. She then says that he needs to come back the next week to retake the test. Squidward finds out that SpongeBob also failed the test and he has to come back the next week too, and Squidward screams as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Salty Squid Jig - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [title card]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Gary, can you hear that?"]
‣ Boring Morning - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [Squidward reading]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward stops]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob chases Squidward]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["You left your keys on the table back there."]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton [Squidward drives away]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [cop writes Squidward a ticket]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Officer, please! I have impeccable boat smarts."]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [Squidward goes to boating school]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward cries]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Class begins/During class/Squidward explains/Squidward finishes his explaining.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Hawaiian sting]
‣ The Four Seasons: Spring - Antonio Vivaldi [SpongeBob's side of the incident]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What the...?"]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [lunch]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's angry]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr [tough guy]
‣ Steel Link (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward with leg cast]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [driving test begins]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King ["SpongeBob, look out!"]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson [top secret laboratory]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [boat gets shrunk]
‣ Steel Sting (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I will never understand these city folk."]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr ["I was just leaving."]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [final exams]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Okay, Squidward, if that's the way you want it."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Squidward asks SpongeBob for help]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Jerk."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [time's up]
‣ Steel Sting (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Time can't be up!"]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants, Season 6 Volume 1, and Complete Sixth Season DVDs.
- As of March 5, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.4/10 based on 135 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.4/10 based on 113 votes.
- This episode was supposed to air on August 8, 2008 but was aired a day earlier on the 7th.
- The episode was set to be paired with "Grooming Gary." Instead, it ended up being paired with "The Krabby Kronicle."
- Squidward claims he has impeccable boat smarts, but he lost them in "Slide Whistle Stooges" when he destroyed the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab.
- Mrs. Puff says they all know why SpongeBob is in Boating School, but it is unknown how he went to Boating School in the first place. It is assumed that he just wanted to have the freedom to drive a boat and be on the road. There is much small evidence supporting this.
- The close-up of SpongeBob breathing heavily while Squidward writes what happened on the chalkboard is exactly the same scene where SpongeBob breathes heavily to Squidward when he was previously sitting beside him.
- When SpongeBob was driving recklessly and nearly hit the old lady, it was the Granny from the episode "Have You Seen This Snail?"
- The gorilla suit that SpongeBob wears when he drives through the Costume Supplies is similar to the one Patrick wore in "I Had an Accident."
- Running gag: Squidward being injured by a bully in the restroom.
- At the end of the episode, SpongeBob says he has never passed the test exam. In "Boating School," he says he always passes the oral but can never do the driving part.
- It's hinted that SpongeBob will never get his driver's license, but SpongeBob is in denial.
- In "Summer Job," Mrs. Puff works at the Krusty Krab instead of Squidward and in this episode, Squidward is in her Boating School.
- This episode premiered nine years after the premiere of "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" and "Boating School" and one year after Scared Silly! was released.
- This is the first time someone uses a tape recorder to prove that Squidward said something that he's denying. The second time will be in "Sponge-Cano!"
- This is the third episode where Squidward's vehicle is shown. The first is "Dying for Pie" and the second was "Boat Smarts."
- The info for this episode on TV guides say Squidward is caught speeding. However, he is not speeding. He just ran over a stop sign.
- The close-up of SpongeBob breathing heavily has become a famous internet meme.
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Bootsbrüder," which translates to "Boating Brothers."
- This is the first episode where Salty Squid Jig plays.
- When Squidward's hot chocolate lands on his head, SpongeBob exlaims "Chocolate rain!" (after "Coffee rain!"), this is a reference to the song "Chocolate Rain" by Tay Zonday.
- When SpongeBob drives through the costume shop, Mrs. Puff is dressed like Jason Voorhees, the main antagonist of the 1980 horror film, Friday the 13th.
- When Squidward says "I don't care what Mr. Krabs says!," when SpongeBob leans backwards slightly, SpongeBob's black belt turns white.
- The outline of the newspaper on the table was blue, but when Squidward snatched it from the table, the outline was gray.
- When Squidward walked away from SpongeBob, Squidward had a newspaper in his hand, but in the next shot, he doesn't.
- Squidward says he has no criminal record prior to getting the ticket. However, he got arrested in "Good Ol' Whatshisname" (though, this episode could've taken place before that episode).
- During the close-up of SpongeBob breathing heavily, when SpongeBob blinks, his eyelashes are visible for a split-second.
- When Squidward screeches the chalkboard, he appears to draw a line. That line is not seen again when it shows a shot of the whole chalkboard. Squidward wasn't shown erasing that line either.
- After Squidward is done with his illustration, he doesn't erase the board when he's finished, and when SpongeBob is drawing, there is no trace of Squidward's drawing left, and was never seen picking up an eraser.
- When SpongeBob draws the curl on the line, it disappears when the camera zooms out to the entire chalkboard.
- When Mrs. Puff says "Now, we're going to take this nice and slow," she blinks her eyes but her eyelashes are still seen.
- When Squidward sits down to take the final exam, he is neither holding a pencil nor is there a pencil on his desk, but in the next shot, he has a pencil laying on his desk.
- In the scene where Squidward is talking to SpongeBob about him needing his help, Debbie Rechid was totally pink and in the next shot, she is purple.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's cheeks appear bigger (or his mouth was smaller) than usual.