"Big Pink Loser" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season two. In this episode, envious of SpongeBob's numerous awards, Patrick works at the Krusty Krab in an attempt to get his own award.
wakes up one morning, a mailfish gives him a package. Curious, he opens it and finds a large, shiny trophy inside. Excited, he starts showing everyone his new award, including the jellyfish and even the Bikini Atoll Island. He shows it off to SpongeBob, who then realizes that the trophy is actually for him after spotting his name on it. Patrick is disappointed as he hands the award to SpongeBob, but his feelings get worse when he discovers the contents of SpongeBob's special award closet. SpongeBob tries to help him find a way to win an award, and eventually, Patrick decides to get a job working alongside SpongeBob at the Krusty Krab. When Patrick gets the job, Squidward comes and tells them, "Guess who just quit?", handing Patrick his hat before walking out the doors.
First, Patrick is assigned to take some food to a customer. However, every time he brings it to the customer, he eats it, even as SpongeBob breaks down the process for him. A simpler task SpongeBob gives Patrick is to answer the phone,but he ends up feeling offended when he thinks everyone is calling him a literal "Krusty Krab," which SpongeBob then tells him is the actual name of the restaurant. At this point, Patrick is almost completely demoralized, but SpongeBob urges him on. Patrick follows up with sweeping dust from under the floor near table 3, but uses the wrong end of the broom. Suddenly, a delivery man comes in with a load of awards for SpongeBob. This enrages Patrick so much that he whacks the floor with the broom eight times, making dust fly everywhere and all the customers cough.
After rushing the upset and disheartened Patrick off into the kitchen, SpongeBob presents him with the extremely simple and basic task of opening a jar. When even this proves to be difficult at first, SpongeBob instructs him to do it exactly as he does. This mantra prompts Patrick to open the jar successfully. However, for a second, Patrick thinks he broke it. SpongeBob tells him he did it right, and he and SpongeBob begin celebrating, Patrick now feeling more confident and poised.
The next day, Patrick starts taking even more cues from SpongeBob. He ends up wearing the same exact outfit as him and copying every single one of SpongeBob's actions and mannerisms in the hope of achieving the same success as his friend. An annoyed SpongeBob attempts to put his "hand" on the stove to prove Patrick was copying him and he succeeds when Patrick's hand starts burning and SpongeBob reveals that Patrick is mimicking him when he reveals a decoy hand. He and Patrick run back to their neighborhood (Patrick’s hat flies off as he runs, and Squidward picks it up as he returns to work). SpongeBob tries multiple antics to convince Patrick to stop copying him, all of which are unsuccessful (SpongeBob even notices that Patrick has made his rock home look almost exactly like his pineapple). He then resorts to dressing up as Patrick, but it only makes Patrick more certain of the fact that his old self was nothing but a “big pink loser”. As it turns out, however, the next award to arrive, which Patrick initially thinks is for SpongeBob again, is actually for a person who won it for "doing absolutely nothing longer than anyone else." This award turns out to be for Patrick. Overjoyed, Patrick decides to protect his new title by going back under his rock and falling fast asleep, returning to his old self.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter [opening]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter ["An award?"]
‣ Announcing the Top - Gregor F. Narholz ["Look, rock, I got an award!"]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [the award's really SpongeBob's]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [Patrick cries]
‣ Heroes Win 10 - Gregor F. Narholz ["I want to defeat the giant monkey man and save the ninth dimension!"]
‣ Dapper Don - Frank Chacksfield [Patrick working at the Krusty Krab as a phone answerer]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Fish paste!"]
‣ Dreamy Hawaii - Terry Day [sweeping]
‣ Killer Birds [#36.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick getting angry]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob showing Patrick how to open a jar]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz [they celebrate]
‣ Hilo March - Jan Rap ["That was great, Patrick!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick dressed like SpongeBob]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick copying SpongeBob]
‣ Hen Pecker - The Surfdusters [they scream and run]
‣ Rocket Sled to Oahu - The Mel-Tones [SpongeBob closes Pineapple door]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob dressed like Patrick]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- As of August 14, 2015, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 266 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 176 votes.
- "Big Pink Loser" was ranked #13 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This is the second episode where the Krusty Krab appears without Mr. Krabs, the first being "SB-129."
- This is the second episode where Patrick gets a job at the Krusty Krab and is later fired or just quit. The first is "Arrgh!" (though, it was only for about five seconds).
- This is the second episode where a phone appears at the cash register in the Krusty Krab. The first was "Pizza Delivery."
- This is one of the few episodes to end with the French narrator speaking.
- The title card background is similar to the one used for "The Algae's Always Greener."
- Reportedly, on the episode's first airing, the title card music was abusively low-pitched but was switched back to the song's proper pitch on later airings. The original title card music pitch can be heard in this link.
- In some versions, at the beginning of the episode, the audio sound of the parcel being shoved into Patrick's mouth is heard before the mailman actually shoves it into his mouth.
- This is the first episode where somebody gets a burn from the Krusty Krab grill.
- There is a book based on this episode titled And the Winner Is...
- Although this is a season 2 episode, Patrick has his M-shaped eyebrows from the season 1 instead of his new and recognizable Z-shaped eyebrows.
- On the Complete 2nd Season Audio Commentary for this episode, it's mentioned by one of the people in the commentary that this episode was made around the time when Patrick's eyebrows were not fully colored in yet.
- The scene where SpongeBob helps Patrick open the jar was used on Nicktoons as a "Rockin' Nicktoon Moment."
- When Patrick finally takes the lid off a jar, he thinks he broke it even though he didn't. However, a few seconds later, Patrick actually does break the jar when he throws it onto the floor and calls it a "touchdown."
- When Patrick jumps out of the water to show his award to Bikini Atoll, he quickly begins suffocating. However, in "Pressure," "Rodeo Daze," The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, he shows no signs of suffocating.
- In the Indonesian version, when Patrick gets the award, the word "award" from the truckman is translated into "Trophy," not "Penghargaan" (Indonesian word for Award).
- The scene where Patrick exclaims "No! This is Patrick!" has became a popular internet meme.
- Patrick mentions the episode's title when he says "What's so great about being a Big Pink Loser?"
- Steven Blum provides SpongeBob's voice when he says "The smallest you can think of."
- The subtitles for this episode are incorrect at times, such as "And make sure the food gets to the customer" being shown as "and be sure the tray gets to the customer.," and when SpongeBob says to Patrick, "No, you have to bring the tray to the customer.," the subtitles say "custom."
- Another example is that at some point, in the Krusty Krab kitchen, closed-captions say "hold" instead of "cold."
- When Patrick throws the broom on the ground in the kitchen, it disappears after he opens the jar.
- When Patrick copies SpongeBob in the kitchen, they "drop" their spatulas. Afterward, SpongeBob and Patrick point to each other, but the spatulas are nowhere to be seen.
- When SpongeBob says "No, don't, That's my--" For a split second, you can see he has no buck teeth. They appear for a split second again.
- When Patrick goes to Jellyfish Fields to show the jellyfish his award, he gets shocked. While he's being shocked there is a visible pink star at the upper right corner of the screen.
- When SpongeBob becomes smaller, there's nothing behind them, but when Patrick takes him, there's a table behind him.
- When SpongeBob's nose pops back out when he is pretending to be Patrick, his buck teeth aren't shown when he is frowning. However, in the next scene, he still has the same frown and his teeth are now visible.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick enter the kitchen so Patrick can open a jar, a small table is seen to the left of the stove, when there is usually nothing there.
- When SpongeBob sees the trophy is really for him, his right buck tooth is missing.
- When Patrick is answering the phone in the Krusty Krab, the third caller asks "Is this the Krusty Krab?" and Patrick shouts "No!," the symbol on the Krusty Krab Employee Hat disappears for a second and then reappears.