- French Narrator
- Sea urchins
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Giant Monkey Man (debut; mentioned)
- Little Monkey Man (debut; mentioned)
- Eugene H. Krabs (mentioned)
- Squidward Tentacles (2 cameos)
- Blue customer (Big Pink Loser)
- Customers on the phone
- Nat Peterson
- Delivery Fish (debut)
- Tina Fran
- Nathiel Waters
- Abigail Marge
- Mary and her lamb (debut; mentioned)
- Sea Weevil (debut; mentioned)
As Patrick wakes up, a mailfish gives him a package. Curious, he opens it and finds a trophy inside. Excited, he starts showing everyone his new award, including the jellyfish and even Bikini Atoll. He shows it off to SpongeBob, who then realizes that the trophy is actually for him. Patrick is disappointed and jealous, even more so when he discovers the contents of SpongeBob's special award closet. SpongeBob tries to help him find a way to win an award, and eventually Patrick decides to get a job at the Krusty Krab. When Patrick gets the job, Squidward comes and tells them, "Guess who just quit!"
First, Patrick has to take some food to a customer. However, every time he brings it to the customer, he eats it, even as SpongeBob breaks down the process for him. A more simpler task SpongeBob gives Patrick is to answer the phone, but he ends up getting upset when he thinks everyone is calling him a literal "Krusty Krab," which SpongeBob then tells him is the name of the restaurant. He follows up with sweeping the floor near table 3, using the wrong end of the broom. Suddenly, a delivery man comes in with a load of awards for SpongeBob. This infuriates Patrick so much that he whacks the floor with the broom, making dust fly everywhere.
After rushing Patrick off into the kitchen, SpongeBob presents him with the extremely basic task of opening a jar. When even this proves to be difficult, SpongeBob instructs him to do it exactly as he does. This mantra prompts Patrick to open the jar successfully, however he thinks he broke it. SpongeBob tells him he did it, and he and SpongeBob begin celebrating.
The next day, Patrick starts taking further cues from SpongeBob. He ends up wearing the same outfit as him and copying every single one of SpongeBob's actions and mannerisms in the hope of achieving the same success as him. In the kitchen, SpongeBob attempts to put his "hand" on the stove to prove Patrick is copying him and he succeeds when Patrick's hand starts burning and SpongeBob reveals that Patrick is mimicing him when he reveals a decoy. SpongeBob then resorts to dressing up as Patrick, which only makes the latter more certain of the fact that the old Patrick was a loser.
As it turns out, the next award to arrive, which Patrick thinks it's for SpongeBob again, is actually for a person who won it for "doing absolutely nothing longer than anyone else." This award turns out to be for Patrick. Overjoyed, Patrick decides to protect his title by going back under his rock and falling fast asleep.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter [opening]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter ["An award?"]
‣ Announcing the Top - Gregor F. Narholz ["Look, rock, I got an award!"]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [the award's really SpongeBob's]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [Patrick cries]
‣ Heroes Win 10 - Gregor F. Narholz ["I want to defeat the giant monkey man and save the ninth dimension!"]
‣ Dapper Don - Frank Chacksfield [Patrick working at the Krusty Krab as a phone answerer]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Fish paste!"]
‣ Dreamy Hawaii - Terry Day [sweeping]
‣ Killer Birds [#36.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick getting angry]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob showing Patrick how to open a jar]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz [they celebrate]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap ["That was great, Patrick!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick dressed like SpongeBob]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick copying SpongeBob]
‣ Hen Pecker - The Surfdusters [they scream and run]
‣ Rocket Sled to Oahu - The Mel-Tones [SpongeBob closes Pineapple door]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob dressed like Patrick]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tide and Seek, Complete 2nd Season, First 100 Episodes, and SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants DVDs.
- As of August 14, 2015, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 266 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 8.9/10 based on 176 votes.
- "Big Pink Loser" was ranked #13 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This is the first episode where Patrick mimics SpongeBob. The second is "Patrick SmartPants," the third is "The Card," and the fourth is "Porous Pockets," but he just mimicks SpongeBob's lip moving.
- This is the first episode where Patrick pulls one of SpongeBob's arms off. The second is "Sing a Song of Patrick."
- This is the second episode where the Krusty Krab appears without Mr. Krabs, the first being "SB-129."
- This is the second episode where Patrick gets a job at the Krusty Krab and is later fired or just quit. The first was "Arrgh!" (though, it was only for about five seconds).
- This is the second episode where a phone appears at the cash register in the Krusty Krab. The first was "Pizza Delivery."
- This is one of the few episodes to have the French Narrator speaking at the end. Another example is "Frankendoodle."
- The title card background is similar to the one used for "The Algae's Always Greener."
- Reportedly, on the episode's first airing, the title card music was abusively low-pitched but was switched back to the song's proper pitch on later airings. The original title card music pitch can be heard in this link.
- In some versions, at the beginning of the episode, the audio sound of the parcel being shoved into Patrick's mouth is heard before the mailman actually shoves it into his mouth.
- This is the first episode where somebody gets a burn from the grill.
- There is a book based on this episode titled And the Winner Is....
- Although this is a season 2 episode, Patrick has his M-shaped eyebrows from the first season instead of his new and recognizable Z-shaped eyebrows.
- On The Complete 2nd Season Audio Commentary for this episode, it's mentioned by one of the people in the commentary that this episode was made around the time when Patrick's eyebrows were not fully colored in yet.
- The scene where SpongeBob helps Patrick open the jar was used on Nicktoons as a "Rockin' Nicktoon Moment."
- When Patrick finally takes the lid off a jar, he thinks he broke it even though he didn't. However, a few seconds later, Patrick actually does break the jar when he throws it into the floor and calls it a "touchdown."
- When Patrick jumps out of the water to show his award to Bikini Atoll, he quickly begins suffocating. However, in "Pressure," "Rodeo Daze," The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, he shows no signs of suffocating.
- In the Indonesian version, when Patrick gets the award, the word "award" from the truckman is translated into "Trophy," not "Penghargaan" (Indonesian word for Award).
- The scene where Patrick exclaims "No! This is Patrick!" has became a popular internet meme.
- Patrick mentions the episode's title when he says "What's so great about being a Big Pink Loser?"
- Steven Blum provides SpongeBob's voice when he says "The smallest you can think of."
- The subtitles for this episode are incorrect at times, such as "And make sure the food gets to the customer" being shown as "and be sure the tray gets to the customer.," and when SpongeBob says to Patrick, "No, you have to bring the tray to the customer.," the subtitles say "custom."
- Another example is that at some point, in the Krusty Krab kitchen, closed-captions say "hold" instead of "cold."
- When Patrick throws the broom on the ground in the kitchen, it disappears after he opens the jar.
- When Patrick copies SpongeBob in the kitchen, they "drop" their spatulas. Afterward, SpongeBob and Patrick point to each other, but the spatulas are nowhere to be seen.
- When SpongeBob says "No, don't, That's my--" For a split second, you can see he has no buck teeth. They appear for a split second again.
- When Patrick goes to Jellyfish Fields to show the jellyfish his award, he gets shocked. While he's being shocked there is a visible pink star at the upper right corner of the screen.
- When SpongeBob becomes smaller, there's nothing behind them, but when Patrick takes him, there's a table behind him.
- When SpongeBob's nose pops back out when he is pretending to be Patrick, his buck teeth aren't shown when he is frowning. However, in the next scene, he still has the same frown and his teeth are now visible.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick enter the kitchen so Patrick can open a jar, a small table is seen to the left of the stove, when there is usually nothing there.
- When SpongeBob sees the trophy is really for him, his right buck tooth is missing.
- When Patrick is answering the phone in the Krusty Krab, the third caller asks "Is this the Krusty Krab?" and Patrick shouts "No!," the symbol on the Krusty Krab Employee Hat disappears for a second and then reappears.