- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Nat Peterson
- Medley Fishbowl
- Abigail Marge
- Jimmy Gus
- Old Man Jenkins
- Frank (lifeguard)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Pearl Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Miss Rechid
- Norma Rechid
- Debbie Rechid
- Frank (red shirt)
- Frankie Billy
- Sheldon the Fish
- Monroe Timmy
- Guard Worm
- Security system voice (debut)
- Kelp Shake Cashier (debut)
- Susie Rechid
- Frank (muscular goldfish)
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Tina Fran
- Karen Plankton
- HAZMAT Unit (debut)
The episode starts at a normal day at the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs is doing paperwork and is confused as to why his profits are down. He goes out into the restaurant to see Squidward making a sale, minus the price of a drink. Mr. Krabs sees everyone is drinking a thing in a bottle, including SpongeBob. He tells Mr. Krabs about the drink called the "Kelp Shake." Mr. Krabs worries that people aren't buying drinks with their food, so he bans outside drinks in his restaurant, forcing the customers to leave.
He goes to see what Plankton has done this time. He doesn't know Plankton isn't behind this. Plankton tells Mr. Krabs he has no idea what is going on because he was relaxing in a beach chair. Then the two try to steal a Kelp Shake and discover what it is made of. They go to a Kelpshake stand and try to get Plankton to find out, and all attempts fail. That night they both try to enter but an alarm wakes up a guard worm who attacks them. The next day Mr. Krabs reluctantly buys a Kelpshake and goes to the Chum Bucket to analyze what is made of.Karen starts analyzing, but Plankton gets impatient and interrupts the progress of the analyzer. They find out that the drink has two ingredients, the primary one being kelp juice. The two drink the shake and find it to be delicious, but ignore Karen, who tries warning them about the other ingredient in the drink. After going out to buy some more kelp shakes, SpongeBob runs out of the Krusty Krab, wailing and crying. He is covered in green kelp fuzz all over, and his clothes are gone. He also tells them that they're closing down the Kelp-Shake Restaurants and he runs away again, crying. Then they go out and see that all Kelpshake restaurants are closed because their shakes contained a toxic and dangerous ingredient. Two decontaminants reveal that it will take decades to get rid of the unhealthy toxic waste and they're sorry for whoever drank the stuff. Then Mr. Krabs and Plankton grow the kelp fuzz all over their body. So Plankton decides to go back to stealing the Krabby Patty secret formula and Mr. Krabs gives him a Krabby Patty and then chases him just for the fun of it.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Girl I Left Behind Me - Brian Peters [title card]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Profits... are... down."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Would you like a drink with that order?"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [shot of kelpshake]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Kelpshake?"]
‣ Dingles Regatta - Brian Peters [everyone drinking kelpshakes]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone leaves]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'd better get to the bottom of this."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [kelpshake store]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [Pearl drinking a kelpshake]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Aha! I knew you were behind this!"]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben ["Wait a minute!"]
‣ King Kong Coming - Gregor F. Narholz [kelpshake stores multiplying]
‣ Panther Prowl - David Farnon ["You sure this is gonna work?"]
‣ City Heat - Gerhard Trede [Krabs pretending to sneeze]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [mechanical arm]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What about SpongeBob?"]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#33] - Gerhard Narholz ["Mr. Krabs, I'm a little confused."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob leaves]
‣ City Heat - Gerhard Trede [Krabs and Plankton on the roof]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#6] - Gerhard Narholz [Krabs and Plankton trying to get a kelpshake]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["All these convoluted plans are getting us nowhere."]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs buys a kelpshake]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["I can't believe we did it!"]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson [Plankton's lab]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Kelp juice."]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Karen warns them not to drink the kelpshake]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Aw, phooey."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["What's happening to me?!"]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob covered in algae]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs screams]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 4 Volume 2, Complete Fourth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of May 3, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.1/10 based on 182 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 133 votes.
- Running gag: Plankton getting hurt every time he and Mr. Krabs infiltrate the Kelpshake restaurant.
- This episode aired in Germany on November 18, 2006, before it aired in the USA.
- The title is a mixture of "Best Friends" and "Enemies," giving "Frenemies."
- The expression "frenemies" is inspired by Elizabeth Everitt's term of her crush Bailey Valint and her acquaintance Shane Griffin. She is a friend of Stephen Hillenburg's daughter.
- The customer who just orders a Krabby Patty only pays a dollar for it. This episode may take place on a Wednesday because according to SpongeBob in the episode "Imitation Krabs," a single Krabby Patty only costs a dollar on Wednesdays.
- Kelp Shakes have actually appeared in the series before; the Krusty Krab has had them on stock according to the menu in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V."
- The Kelp Shake buildings divide like bacteria and seem contagious.
- The "Well, good luck with that" quote SpongeBob said is reused from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- The security system which warns Mr. Krabs and Plankton says "You have three seconds before spontaneous combustion!" and then pulls out a laser, but in real life, spontaneous combustion means something that suddenly bursts into flames.
- The last scene where the Chum Bucket is shown, it is destroyed by the Kelpshake building, but it is shown again later when Mr. Krabs and Plankton try to analyze the ingredients.
- On the August 15, 2010 airing of this episode on Nickelodeon UK, at the end, Mr. Krabs says, "Hey, hahahahahahahaha!" while in other countries like the US, he says "Hey, get back here you little booger, hahahahahahahaha!" to Plankton. This is because the word "booger" sounds similar to "bugger," which is a word deemed profane in the UK, while in other English-speaking countries it is a nickname for a mischievous child.
- This episode marks the first time Mr. Krabs interacts with Karen.
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs and Plankton become friends. The first is"New Leaf."
- This is the second appearance of a guard worm. The first is "The Lost Mattress."
- This is the second appearance of the Chum Bucket analyzer. The first is "Plankton!"
- This episode marks the third time Mr. Krabs enters the Chum Bucket. The first is "Enemy In-Law" and the second is "New Leaf."
- This is last episode aired before SpongeBob SquarePants officially became rated TV-Y7 on April 1, 2007.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob plays a minor role. The first is "Plankton's Army."
- The German title for this episode is "Beste Fr-einde," which translates to "Best F(r)iends."
- The Greek title for this episode is "Φικοσέικ," which translates to "Kelp-Shake."
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD box set, before it aired on TV in the USA.
- Kelpshake stands are a parody of Starbucks coffee chains, which have a reputation of suddenly popping up in large numbers all over the place, but don't instantly multiply like Kelpshake restaurants.
- Plankton's abnormal hair growth makes him have a head-hairstyle similar to Albert Einstein. Since Plankton has an interest in science, this hairstyle that he has developed is rather suitable.
- When the guy who says "Wow, what a steal" orders food, he just walks away without taking any of the food he ordered.
- When Squidward says "We haven't sold a single soda for weeks!," the closed-captions read "We haven't sold a single Solar in weeks!"
- When SpongeBob sucks the Kelp Shake for the first time, the straw is outside his mouth.
- During the part where Mr. Krabs sneezes, an employee sign reads "Employes Only." It is missing the third "e." Also, the sign is purple, but when Plankton lands, the sign is yellow and "employee" is spelled correctly.
- After Mr. Krabs says "Hey, get back here you little booger," Plankton disappears before the screen cuts to black.
- There are three Kelp Shakes next to the Krusty Krab, two on the left and one on the right, but when SpongeBob talks to Mr. Krabs and Plankton inside the restaurant, two of Kelp Shakes on the left outside are gone.
- Plankton's mouth is purple.
- While Plankton runs off during the end of the episode, he mysteriously disappears in the middle of nowhere, even though the size at which he disappeared is still relatively large. This can be seen closely if played back in the ending scene again, if noticing Plankton always.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|