- Squidward Tentacles
- Purple Doctorfish
- Squilliam Fancyson (debut)
- Squilliam's band (mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Fish who passes by Plankton
- Mrs. Puff
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Larry the Lobster
- Music Rental Clerk (mentioned)
- Jimmy Gus
- Ivy (gray)
- Nathiel Waters
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Clay (green)
- Pearl Krabs
- Medley Fishbowl
- Nat Peterson
- Miss Shell
- Harold (red fish)
- Frank (red shirt)
- Fred (normal; tan)
- Evelyn (normal; green)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Tina Fran
- Frankie Billy
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Nazz-Mimi (purple)
- Fireman (mentioned)
- Paramedic (mentioned as "some guy in an ambulance")
- Human audience (debut)
- Owner of the white sedan (mentioned)
One day, as Squidward turns away a doctor who came to care for the wailing animal that was his clarinet, he receives a telephone call from his old schoolmate Squilliam Fancyson. The rich, successful and very smug Squilliam presents Squidward with a backhanded offer to play the prestigious Bubble Bowl in place of Squilliam’s band, correctly suspecting that Squidward has no band of his own to perform with. Squidward, however, boldly takes him up on the offer and quickly posts flyers around town looking for band members.
The first night of rehearsals, Squidward brings his rented instruments into a practice hall full with townspeople, at least some of whom came for the promise of free refreshments. Squidward attempts to gauge how much musical experience his prospective band members have. Upon discovering they collectively have, in fact, none, he begins teaching them the basics. Over the next few days, the fledgling band is put through the paces of both marching and learning their instruments.
The final night of rehearsals, unfortunately, finds the band’s skill level much the same as on the first night. Tensions rise among the band members, and though Squidward tries to stave off the conflict, a fight breaks out. Once the clock hits 8, however, the fight breaks up and everyone starts to head home. Squidward stops them, rebuking them all for not taking his dream seriously. After Squidward leaves in despair, SpongeBob asks the townspeople to think about all of the times Squidward came through for them. Despite drawing a blank, they decide to give practice one more try anyway.
The day of the performance arrives and Squidward prepares to finalize his band’s cancellation, only to find Squilliam waiting for him. Squilliam gleefully points out the overly-eager members of Squidward’s band, who have arrived in full uniform and with their instruments at the ready. As they march into the dome, Squidward bemoans the humiliation awaiting him. The Bubble Bowl rises up out of the sea into the center of a human football stadium, replete with "some ugly-looking fish."
Squidward, fearing the worst, nervously starts to conduct. However, to his and Squilliam’s great surprise, they find that the band is performing spectacularly. SpongeBob belts out a power ballad as the rest of the band members play their instruments with skill and confidence. As the crowd sways in awe and Squilliam falls prey to the literally heart-stopping performance and taken to the hospital, Squidward tosses away his baton and leaps into the air in triumph.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Here Comes the Band! (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [title card]
‣ ? - Brad Carow [Squidward playing his clarinet]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr ["Squilliam Fancyson from band class?"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["I hear you're playing the cash register now."]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [everyone reading Squidward's flyer]
‣ ? - Brad Carow, Nicolas Carr, Robert Lee Faust, Ira Nepus [band playing]
‣ Taps - played after explosion
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["What did you say, punk?"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["You took my one chance at happiness and crushed it."]
‣ Fates [#61.03] - Gregor F. Narholz ["What kind of monsters are we?"]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#63] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob's pep talk]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Bubble Bowl]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward sees Squilliam]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["I just wanted to watch you blow it."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["That would be my band!"]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squilliam laughs]
‣ Gala (a) - Dieter Reith [live-action football field]
‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde [fanfare]
‣ Sweet Victory 1 - David Eisley, Bob Kulick [ending]
- This episode is available on the Halloween, Home Sweet Pineapple, Complete 2nd Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- On The Winner Take All Sunday this episode was #6
- During the Super Stuffed Nicksgiving Weekend in 2007, the song "Sweet Victory" was named as the #1 Nicktoon moment of all time.
- In SpongeBob's Top 100 Marathon in UK, this episode was #1
- This episode is #9 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
Squid tries to "inspire" Bikini Bottom's doofy denizens into being a tight marching band – but it's like herding kittens. "Sweet Victory" is like the worst Night Ranger – type power ballad in history.
- As of July 23, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.7/10 based on 911 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.2/10 based on 318 votes.
- "Band Geeks" was ranked #38 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- According to The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash, David Archuleta rated this episode as his favorite.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Kalamarkov Bend" translating to "Squidward's Band."
- The flyer for Squidward's band says: Looking to add fulfillment to your dull, dull life? Then become a part of the greatest musical sensation ever to hit Bikini Bottom and be forever adored by thousands of people you don't know. Not to mention free refreshments! Practice begins tonight, 8:30 sharp.
- The ending is similar to that of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: someone happily jumps in to the air and the screen freezes as it fades to black.
- The Bubble Bowl "real life" crowd is footage used from a USFL Memphis Showboats vs. Tampa Bay Bandits game.
- During day two when the band is marching down the street, they are actually doing a rendition of "Semper Fidelis," regarded as the official marching song of the U.S. Marine Corps.
- This episode came packaged in a PVD in black and white with the VideoNow personal video player by Hasbro. The episode was later released in color with "The Secret Box."
- On the "Day Three" time card, the background is the same as the "I Was a Teenage Gary" title card.
- In the Latin American Spanish version the title card is called: "Squidward's Band Geek."
- SpongeBob's eager face was used in the online game Reef Rumble.
- SpongeBob's eager face is also a famous internet meme.
- Patrick's line "Is mayonnaise an instrument?" has become a famous internet meme.
- This also applies to Harold's line "Big, meaty, claws!"
- Several clips of this episode have been used in various old SpongeBob music videos on YouTube.
- On Nick.com's official SpongeBob site, the original episode video description stated that Squidward only has minutes to put together a band for the Bubble Bowl, yet the band actually has four days to train. It might be referring to the length of the episode.
- In the Japanese version of this episode, the French narrator and the announcer in the stadium are not heard.
- In Latin America, during the day one training, the line where SpongeBob interferes Squidward after he asks everyone to stand in rows of five saying "Is this the part where we start kicking?" Squidward's response was changed. In English, he replies "No SpongeBob, that's a chorus line" (Which in Spanish would translate to "No SpongeBob, esa es una linea de coro"), while in the Latin American version, he replies "No SpongeBob, you think this is Karate?" (Which in Spanish translates to "No SpongeBob, ¿crees que esto es Karate?"). This change could have been made in order to not confuse young viewers, since it is likely that most of them do not have any sort of music compositional knowledge. However, this is countered by the fact that in the Latin American version, while asking the drum line to repeat the line from his clarinet, instead of saying "Drums" ("Tambores" in Spanish), he says "Percussion" ("Percusion" in Spanish), which is a far less common denomination of the instrument.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Kapela Skalmara" translating to "Squidward's Band."
- During the song, when SpongeBob is pointing and Sandy is in the background, SpongeBob is wearing the friendship ring from this episode's sister episode "The Secret Box."
- This episode and "The Secret Box," were the last to premiere before the 9/11 attacks, which occurred just 4 days after these episodes first aired.
- Ironically, this episode contains a scene where the baton twirlers in Squidward’s band twirl their batons so fast they fly up and hit an incoming blimp, which is slightly similar to what occurred during the 9/11 attacks.
- Running gag: Patrick kicking Sandy making her attack Patrick with a trombone first and then a trumpet.
- This episode takes place before or after "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" since in that episode SpongeBob tries to play a string bass.
- The Bubble Bowl is a parody of the Super Bowl.
- Part of Pearl's skirt is gone when SpongeBob talks to Evelyn and Larry, but reappears in the next scene, and then disappears again.
- During the band's performance of "Sweet Victory" when the main cast (minus Mrs. Puff and Plankton) is shown, Mr. Krabs is playing a purple keytar, but during the panning the keytar is green.
- During the full band scene, all of the main cast moves in some way but Mr. Krabs does not move at all.
- When everyone in the room is talking, SpongeBob and Patrick are sitting next to each other. However, when Patrick asks if mayonnaise is an instrument and when he says "Kicking? I want to do some kicking!," he is sitting next to Sandy.
- Then, after getting beaten by Sandy, Patrick returns to a third seat.
- Throughout the scenes of the rehearsals, the characters constantly change instruments.
- Mr. Krabs asks when they will get free food even though the flyer actually mentioned free refreshments.
- During multiple scenes in which the screen shakes, when televised, it is surrounded by either a brown or blue border. This error also occurs in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" and "The Secret Box."
- When Squidward says that he really expected better of them, Nancy's skin was green instead of pink.
- When everyone says "blah blah," they all say it normally, but the closed captions show musical notes for this part, as if they were singing.
- The entire reason that Squidward has a band is since Squilliam could not make it. However, he shows up anyway meaning he could make it. So, Squidward did not have to make a band.
- It is possible, if not likely, that Squilliam lied just to publicly humiliate Squidward in front of the crowd.
- Patrick's trombone has valves on it, a feature uniquely absent from trombones.
- When Squidward says "That's his eager face," his mouth is somewhat out of sync with the animation.
- When Squidward asks Plankton how the harmonica solo is going, the harmonica is not on the chair. A second later, it is on the chair.
- The saxophone is a woodwind instrument, but when Squidward tells the brass section to play, Harold can be seen playing a saxophone.
- When Squidward tells the woodwind section to play, one of the players is playing a brass instrument.
- When it is day four, all the seats are missing.
- Squidward may have moved the chairs between the end of day three and the beginning of day four.
- In the shot where Mr. Krabs asks, "When do we get the free food?," Sandy is sitting next to him. Two seats behind Mr. Krabs is Frank. Part of him is shown, but the part that should be shown in Sandy's helmet is not there. It is not a trick with lighting because the part of Fred, who is sitting behind Mr. Krabs, that is in Sandy's helmet is shown.
- When Fred says "Hey, class is over" he appears to be winning a fight against Sandy, yet she is supposed to be one of the strongest creatures in Bikini Bottom, so technically she should have been winning.
- When Patrick opens his mouth while talking with a trombone noise from being stuck in a trombone, the slider goes downwards from a higher-pitched noise to a lower-pitched noise. Correctly, the slider should have been sliding upwards.
- After class was over on the way towards the door, the door flies open revealing Squidward with his arms to his side, as he had not touched the door.
- When the band is shown turning from above, Pearl's nose is unreasonably big and covers several people.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards