"Are You Happy Now?" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eight. In this episode, Squidward can't recall his happiest memory, so SpongeBob tries to help him create one.
On a fine day at the Krusty Krab, Patrick is behind the restaurant climbing out of a dumpster eating a leftover Krabby Patty. The camera then pans over to SpongeBob, showing him reading the Krusty Krab Work Schedule book, much to Squidward being annoyed. Squidward picks up the book that was reading SpongeBob and questions on what's so great about it. SpongeBob then claims that the book has a list of "his happiest memories." Squidward takes the book and "accidentally" drops it on the grill. However, SpongeBob has multiple copies of the book in a cabinet, which he proceeds to get one. SpongeBob then asks Squidward if he has the happiest memory, in which he says, "No." Feeling concerned, SpongeBob tries to ask Squidward if he can help make the happiest memory for him, which he accepts.
First, SpongeBob takes Squidward to a concert; that did not go well, however, since the violin player accidentally shot Squidward in the eye with the violin bow (like a bow and arrow). Then, both of them head to the Bikini Bottom Museum where one of Squidward's masterpieces is in the museum, which is praised by critics. Squidward is happy until a famous art critic named Fiasco burns his artwork with a flamethrower. In addition, after that, SpongeBob takes Squidward on a hot air balloon ride. That doesn't go well, since Squidward is afraid of heights, so SpongeBob tries to get Squidward down by popping the balloon (because the balloon has no heater to make it deflate) and both of them land on a mountain which is actually Mount Bikini, ruining Harold's chance to be the first one on the mountain. Then, SpongeBob, Squidward, and Harold slide off the mountain due to an avalanche. When SpongeBob and Squidward slide back to their homes, Squidward insists that he will never have a happiest memory.
Two weeks later, Squidward is left in his house doing nothing but being unhappy. SpongeBob then becomes even more concerned for Squidward and tries to get a hold of him, but to no avail. First, he and Gary go up to Squidward's window, but Squidward closes the curtains. SpongeBob suddenly falls off Gary along with Gary's shell, and SpongeBob gets stuck in the shell and breaks it when he crashes into Squidward's house. Second, he tries calling Squidward to cheer him up, but Squidward throws his phone into SpongeBob's house. Gary gives it to SpongeBob (while he is still holding his phone) and SpongeBob yells through the phone, making his ears hurt and breaking both phones. Then he comes out of Squidward's fax machine, but Squidward shreds him to pieces with his paper shredder and dumps him out the window, where Gary puts him back together. Finally, he traps Squidward in a box and takes him to the Krusty Krab, where he reveals that he created a party to try and cheer Squidward up. Unfortunately, SpongeBob failed to get anyone else to come, because some of them were busy or sick, so instead, he made 100 papier-mâché life-sized models of himself. Squidward hates seeing more than one sculpture of SpongeBob in one place so he goes berserk, destroys all the papier-mâché sculptures, and claims it to be his "happiest memory."
‣ Unknown Track 14
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Title card
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Opening at Krusty Krab]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess I don't have a happiest memory."]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["How can you live without a happiest memory?"]
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward cries]
‣ Unknown Track 15 - string concert
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [museum]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["This is my sculpture!"]
‣ Unknown Track 9 - "Ooh, you're just in time!"
‣ Rainbow Delights - Magnum Opus ["Gosh, I can't believe it!"]
‣ Cristallisation - Vladimir Cosma [Squidward's sculpture is burned]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Squidward leave the museum]
‣ Fancytale - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Squidward in a hot air balloon]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [Squidward's afraid of heights]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob pops the balloon]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Son of a seahorse!"]
‣ Missile Disaster - John Fox ["We're the first to reach the top of Mount Bikini!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob plants the flag in Squidward's foot]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [avalanche]
‣ Unknown Track 30 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward arrives home, depressed]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [two weeks later...]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["At least he's still alive."]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob falls]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary's shell breaks]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob calls Squidward
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [burnt brownies]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob emerges from Squidward's fax machine
‣ Tabu - Daryl Neil Griffith ["I can't seem to get happy."]
‣ Small Birds - Phil Green [pet scallop]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nope, I guess not."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [empty box]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob emerges from the box]
‣ Ta-Ra (c) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [party at Krusty Krab]
‣ Proud Fanfare - David Farnon [party at Krusty Krab]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You don't seem to understand."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I...don't...want...a...happiest memory!"]
‣ Unknown Track 3 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of August 9, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 72 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7/10 based on 33 votes.
- This episode is the first episode in the series to contain the 2013 100th Anniversary Paramount logo.
- There are 21 happy faces on the title card.
- This was the first episode to premiere in 2012.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2012 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This episode marks the second appearance of Fiasco, the first being "Fiasco!," which is actually the previous episode in production order.
- This episode takes place before "Band Geeks," "House Fancy," "Suction Cup Symphony," "Love That Squid," "Enchanted Tiki Dreams," and "Whale Watching," because Squidward is happy at the end of those episodes, and in this episode Squidward claims he has never been happy.
- This and its sister episode, "Planet of the Jellyfish," both show Squidward having a mailbox on his door.
- This is the second episode where the mail carrier gets Squidward's name wrong. The first is "The Great Snail Race."
- This is the second episode where a skull and crossbones appear in a character's eyes. The first was in "Prehibernation Week."
- This episode reveals that Squidward is afraid of heights, but in "No Hat for Pat," Squidward is not afraid when he is on the diving board with Patrick.
- This is one of the few episodes to have suicide jokes. Similar to "One Coarse Meal," "Dunces and Dragons," "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," "Band Geeks," "Gary Takes a Bath," "Something Smells," "Out of the Picture," and "Krusty Kleaners."
- This episode premiered five years after "Born to Be Wild" and "Best Frenemies."
- This episode is falsely known as "Squidward's Happiest Memory."
- The episode title shares the same name with the song by Michelle Branch.
- The episode also shares the same name with a song sung by Megan and Liz.
- This episode also as well shares the same name with a song sung by Ellie Goulding.
- When Squidward climbs the walls during his rampage, it is a reference to the Wacky Wall Walker, a toy that is thrown against walls, sticks to them, and looks like it's crawling down as it falls. The toy is designed to look like an octopus.
- In the scene where SpongeBob cracks Gary's shell, it's in pieces, but in the next shot, it's repaired, perhaps he must have re-grown it or got a new one from Angry Jack's shell emporium.
- Squidward drops the work schedule book on the grill and it burns immediately, but nothing happened to it when it was lying on the grill while SpongeBob was reading it.