"A Life in a Day" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season six. In this episode, Larry's daredevil antics inspire Patrick to live a dangerous life.
The episode begins when SpongeBob and Patrick are getting a tan on Goo Lagoon. Suddenly, Larry the Lobster comes riding in on a motorcycle, kicking up sand in SpongeBob's and Patrick's face. However, everyone cheers for Larry and soon, they talk to him. Larry says he's a professional daredevil who loves to live life to the fullest. Then Larry points out that SpongeBob and Patrick are cowards and need to be more like him. Larry drives away leaving Patrick in deep thought.
The next day, SpongeBob and Patrick are blowing bubbles, when Patrick says that their lives are boring, and that they need to live like Larry. Patrick then jumps on a seahorse, which bucks him off and severely injures Patrick. Meanwhile, SpongeBob is riding a kiddie ride at the grocery store. Later that day, Patrick kicks down SpongeBob's door, and drags him to the junkyard. Patrick then jumps in a boat going on the conveyor belt. The boat (with Patrick inside) is then crushed by the junkyard crusher, while SpongeBob only watches in horror as Patrick is slowly crushed.
Even later that day, Patrick breaks down the door again (still inside the crushed car) and pulls SpongeBob to the outskirts of Bikini Bottom to a deep canyon next to the canyon is a long board leading to the bottom, which Patrick says he will skate down. He tells SpongeBob to join him, but SpongeBob says that going down the ramp would be stupid, and would certainly kill them. Patrick shrugs and calls SpongeBob a chicken. Patrick then skates down, and flies right into the mouths of several hungry monsters, Patrick's fate is unknown.
The next day, SpongeBob is working at the Krusty Krab, when Patrick (who apparently survived the monster attack) is running towards the restaurant, trying to get away from five mad bikers (Possibly the Wild Ones). He tells SpongeBob that he was right, and that he would never try such stupid stunts again. When SpongeBob goes outside to talk to the bikers, he knocks down their bikes. SpongeBob and Patrick run down the street, and SpongeBob gets a rush of adrenaline. SpongeBob shouts that he's living like Larry, and is now obsessed with daredevil stunts. The bikers hit SpongeBob with their bikes, sending SpongeBob flying into the air.
Later that day, SpongeBob and Patrick are on the beach again, but this time on a giant arrow aimed towards hundreds of sharp rocks (Rippers' Reef). Patrick worries that they will get hurt, but SpongeBob prepares to cut the rope anyway. Meanwhile, Larry notices what they are doing and races to stop them. But Larry is too late, SpongeBob cuts the rope and they fly towards Ripper's Reef. Larry hooks a rope on the arrow, and is pulled up too. SpongeBob shouts with glee, while Patrick and Larry scream. They slam into Ripper's Reef at full force, and all are impaled with the rocks.
Later at the Bikini Bottom Hospital, Patrick and Larry are put in full body casts, while SpongeBob is put in a wheel chair. SpongeBob says that it's time for his next stunt, and asks "What would Larry do?" Larry gets mad and chases SpongeBob out of the hospital.
‣ Dancing the Hula
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Kapono Beamer [title card]
‣ Return of the Surfin' Headhunters - The Mel-Tones [Larry riding a motorcycle]
‣ Kung Fu Saturdays - The Mel-Tones [Larry surfing on his head]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob, Patrick whimpering]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Just look at 'em."]
‣ Fault Line - The Mel-Tones [Larry tells SpongeBob and Patrick to live like him]
‣ ? ["Living... like... Larry."]
‣ Steel Link (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Living like Larry... living like Larry..."]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Patrick blowing bubbles]
‣ No Fear OL - Udi Harpaz ["This is where we redeem our miserable lives."]
‣ Touch the Skies - Barrie Hingley [Patrick riding a seahorse]
‣ Fun Bridge 9 - Ilan Harel [SpongeBob riding a kiddy ride]
‣ Fault Line - The Mel-Tones ["Where were you, SpongeBob? It was awesome!"]
‣ Entry of the Heroes (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob gulps]
‣ Munitions Train - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [A#1 Wreckers]
‣ No Fear OL - Udi Harpaz ["You must defeat your reason before you can start... LIVING LIKE LARRY!"]
‣ Munitions Train - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Patrick getting crushed]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob arranging his socks]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick inside crushed car]
‣ Fault Line - The Mel-Tones ["Patrick, where are we going?"]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Patrick takes SpongeBob to a canyon]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["No, Patrick, I mean your life. I'm not going."]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Patrick skateboards into the canyon]
‣ Phantom Train - The Surfdusters [bikers chasing Patrick]
‣ Outrage - Peter Yorke ["You were right, SpongeBob, I went too far."]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield ["I know that you might be angry with my friend..."]
‣ El Dementia - The Surfdusters [bikers chase SpongeBob and Patrick]
‣ Beheading of the King - Laurie Johnson [giant arrow]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [Larry reading a book]
‣ Beware the Ripper (c) - Richard Myhill ["With that angle of trajectory, they'll land right in..."]
‣ Murder in Mind [#47] - Ronald Hanmer ["...Ripper's Reef!"]
‣ Rocket Sled to Oahu - The Mel-Tones ["Wait! Don't do it! Stop!"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob, Patrick and Larry in the hospital]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of August 14, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 114 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 100 votes.
- Although this episode premiered in 2008, it was made in 2007 according to the credits.
- The title card is similar to the one used for "Band Geeks," except that this one is a tad brighter in color. This is ironic, as this episode is not related to music.
- This episode is paired with "Sun Bleached." Coincidentally, both episodes have a summer setting and take place at Goo Lagoon.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob wears his red beach suit instead of the blue beach suit he had worn in previous episodes.
- When Patrick comes from A No. 1 Wreckers to SpongeBob's house, he is in a boat that colored a lot like Mr. Krabs' clothes.
- "Living Like Larry" was made a term in reality used for doing extreme efforts, like the ones seen in this episode.
- It's revealed that Nat Peterson works at A No. 1 Wreckers.
- In this episode, there is an abyss with trench monsters who are similar to ones in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- Larry acts like he doesn't know SpongeBob and Patrick, but in other episodes, such as "Ripped Pants" and "SpongeGuard on Duty," they are good friends with him.
- It's possible that this episode takes place before those two.
- When Patrick jumps and says "Livin' like Larry!," the background that appears behind him is similar to the title card of the short "The Endless Summer."
- When SpongeBob says "I wonder how Patrick's doing with his 'living like Larry' thing," one of his teeth turn from white to yellow for a split-second.
- SpongeBob appears to knock over eight motorcycles, yet only six of them are circling him afterwards.
- When Patrick and SpongeBob are first shown on the huge arrow, SpongeBob is wearing his beach suit. However, later, when an upper-view close-up is shown of Patrick scared and SpongeBob saying "Whoowoowoo!!!," SpongeBob's regular clothes are briefly seen on him instead, but when the arrow is shown fully again, SpongeBob is back to wearing the beach suit.
- Right before the scene cuts to Patrick and Larry in the hospital, there is a shot that shows the Bikini Bottom Hospital, but Larry's tail in bandages is shown in the bottom right, meaning the last shot of the episode with Larry chasing SpongeBob right before the scene cuts to black was used in a shot right before it cut to Patrick and Larry in the hospital and was mirrored.