Year 2001 was a common year starting on Monday. This is the first year of SpongeBob to have a 3-month hiatus. This one was from May 5 to August 14. Other years that had 3-month hiatuses include 2002, 2003, and 2005. Shanghaied aired on March 9, 2001, but its partner episode, Gary Takes a Bath didn't air for another 2 years until July 26, 2003. 2001 was also the first year to have a premiere week of episodes, starting with Survival of the Idiots and Dumped on March 5, 2001 and ending with Shanghaied on March 9.
25 new episodes premiered this year.
- February 17 - Wormy and Patty Hype premiered.
- March 5 - Survival of the Idiots and Dumped premiered.
- March 6 - Grandma's Kisses and Squidville premiered.
- March 7 - No Free Rides and I'm Your Biggest Fanatic premiered.
- March 8 - Pressure and The Smoking Peanut premiered.
- March 9 - Shanghaied premiered.
- March 14 - Legend of the Lost Spatula released.
- May 5 - Pre-Hibernation Week and Life of Crime premiered.
- August 14 - SpongeBob SquarePants: Original Theme Highlights released.
- September 7 - The Secret Box and Band Geeks premiered.
- September 21 - Sailor Mouth and Artist Unknown premiered.
- September 21 - SuperSponge released for the PlayStation .
- September 24 - Operation Krabby Patty released.
- September 28 - Jellyfish Hunter and The Fry Cook Games premiered.
- October 5 - Just One Bite and The Bully premiered, starting Season 3.
- October 12 - Squid on Strike and Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm premiered.
- November 5 - SuperSponge released for the GameBoy Advance.
- November 30 - Procrastination and I'm with Stupid premiered.